Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hedge Ideas

Posted by pushindirt z8 OR (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 11:33

My MIL is considering surrounding part of her property but wants to use plants, not fences. She is considering roses. although I push dirt for a living, I'm not a landscaper.
She has her heart dead set on roses.
Because we plan on propagating our own for her, what would be some of the prettiest non patented varieties with lots of different colors. These would have to be bush, not climbers.
Any ideas on the nicest looking ones out there?
Also, is there a good web site on plant orientation to achieve a good hedge and how well do they work?
Thanks,
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hedge Ideas

English Rose Tamora - descendant of Belle Isis, wonderful apricot, patent expired 6 years ago, easy to propagate, extremely pretty and highly fragrant.
I recommend Tamora because she is EXTREMELY disease resistant, and you want something resistant to rust, BS, and every other blinking disease these things get - more than a sailor at port call. Tamora DOES NOT OVERGROW, she will stay at a reasonable
4 foot or 5 foot height for you, unlike some other English that turn into the Jolly Green Giant in warmer climes.
There are tons of excellent English roses to chose from, but that would be my first pick. Personally, I grow nothing other than English roses - what is the point? life is too short.

o
RE: Hedge Ideas

The red robin rose from EBurgess.com is great for a hedge. They are not that expensive and the grow VERY fast and are beautiful. Hope this helps.
I have yellow lady bank rose cuttings that get large.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here