Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rosa hugonis from seed?

Posted by fgilles02420 z6 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 11:47

I've been trying for several years to germinate seeds from my R. hugonis. First problem is - it sets very few seeds. What I do:
1)Clean seeds away from pulp
2)Plant in seed starting mix that has been dampened with a solution of 1T hydrogen peroxide/1c water.
3)Leave at room temperature 90 days. I use plastic containers with clear lids, a few holes poked in the top for ventilation, a few holes poked in the bottom for drainage. Container never dries out.
4)Transfer container to fridge for 90 days.
5)Remove, put outside and wait for germination.

Now this has worked wonderfully for R. glauca and R. acicularis. Any ideas on how I can make it work for R. hugonis?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rosa hugonis from seed?

Evidently you can. Google the Anglegrove Tree Seed Company. They have seeds for several shrub roses, are located in NF Canada.

They claim "Shrub roses produced from seed tend to really thrive as compared with many grafted roses. On the whole they are hardy, vigorous, disease free, long lived and produce a wonderful fragrance."

I found that by googling propagating rosa hugonis

I believe that class of roses is difficult, but not impossible, to propagate by cutting except somewhere I read the spinossima (sp?) are the most difficult if not impossible to root from cuttings.

There must be a special method for planting the seeds which they don't state on their page. If you order seeds, hopefully they give instructions.

o

i am an amateur propagator. i don't have to worry about productivity and i have no problem propagating spinosissima's from cuttings, but you have to start with a lot of material (cuttings).
i do my cuttings in ver early spring in small pots filled w compost. i count on 20 cuttings per pot (with the objective to end up with at least 1 rooted cutting). i water and put a clear plastic bag over the pots and i put them back outside and forget them until it looks like i shoud water. i take the plastic bag off when i know it won t freeze anymore and whaterver survives this treatment usually makes a wonderful shrub (can t be in a rush though!).
worked fine this year for canary bird, spring time...

o

try the following link

http://www.abrigon.com/Rose Hybridizing Presentation Final_files/frame.htm#slide0001.htm

It is about hybridizing but it also tells you how to grow from seed if you watch the entire slideshow. Good luck.

o

I remove the seed from all other debris and sprinkle them into plastic containers on moist sand that are sealed and stored in a dark storage unheated shed. every spring I examine the containers (labeled with the name) looking for signs of germination and prick out the ones that have started to root. Some take a year, a few have taken up to 3 years.

o

I never put my rose seeds in temps under + 10 C -if so they go into seeddormancy and can take up to 2 years to germinate
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here