Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Fashioned Propagation?

Posted by JoshTx 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 12:50

I was having a discussion with my grandmother the other day about propagating roses, and she began talking about a method I am unfamiliar with. She said that the way she used to propagate roses was by wounding the plant at a bud eye and wrapping it in damp moss. Then, once roots had begun growing out of the wound, you snip the cutting off and you put it in the ground. You then have a new plant.

I am curious to know if anyone has tried this method and if they can report back how well it works. It seems like a potentially simple method for propagation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Fashioned Propagation?

That method is "air layering" and it works with many plants. I just "shortened" a houseplant - a dracena - using that method. Wound, use rooting hormone (or not) wrap with damp moss and plastic wrap. Wait till you see roots thru the plastic. Chop off and pot.
But - I've never tried it with a Rose. If you try it, please report back.
You can also "layer" a Rose by simply lowering a cane to the gournd and placing soil and a big rock on it. Wait a few eeks, then see if it has produced roots.

Good Luck!
ML

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here