Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Question - I have my cuttings potted up now but

aliska12000
17 years ago

the leaves touch the bottle, and I don't think they are supposed to do that. Should I clip them back? They are sitting in the shade and watered, but I wanted to get them in the ground temporarily, put a bottle over them, put an old screen over them and weight it down.

It was not so easy to find cuttings that met all the criteria for a good cutting, so I just did the best I could. I took off the two bottom leaf bunches but in a couple of cases that left me only two instead of three.

I want to do them outside so it is easier to harden them off as I failed with ones I tried in the house.

What do I do now? I had some left over and just stuck them in rooting hormone and used a stick to make a hole, stuck them in poor soil, pressed the soil around them and watered.

I don't want to put the bottles over them until I know if it is ok for the leaves to touch the sides of the bottle. I thought they weren't supposed to, but I won't have much leaf growth left on a few if I clip them back.

They look kind of cute sitting there all neatly potted. I wish I could just root them that way. Maybe I could mist them a few times a day. This is the season for high humidity the next two months. I could get a big tray to set them all in so they aren't as likely to fall over.

This is not as easy as some of you make it sound. I took a jar and plastic cannister to keep them in water and keep the varieties separate, and they didn't even want to stay in that on the way home!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm