Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicago area growers,please help!!!

Posted by t-bred z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 13:10

This is my second year rooting cuttings and I have had great success.The problem is they all die in the winter.Last year,my rooted cuttings were established in pots for several months before I put them in an unheated barn for the winter.I did water them occasionally but they all died.Any advice regarding overwintering would be very appreciated!!!! Am I better off to just put them in the ground the first winter? Help please!!! Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicago area growers,please help!!!

I have limited exp w/ this but here goes. If you are keeping rose cuttings in pots, they are going to be affected much more by cold and dryness than if they were in the ground (not to mention not having access to the minerals and bacteria that are in soil to sustain them). However, you are right that they probably won't survive the Chicago winter in the ground. I would try burying the pots (use terra cotta) -- put them in a sheltered place (like right up against a wall), and then either dig them into the ground a few inches or mound soil up around the bottoms.

Then *blanket* them, covering the pot completely all the way to the ground, and the ground itself, with a thick layer of grass clippings -- like 5 or 6 inches thick. You'd be surprised how warm this will keep them -- you can go out on a winter day and lift the grass and feel the soil in the pots, and it will be warm.

If you put the cuttings into the ground in the summer, so that they are established by the time the cold weather comes, you could also use styrofoam "rose cones" to protect them -- I've heard they work very well.

o
RE: Chicago area growers,please help!!!

Thanks Chatwariq, Maybe I will try a few each way and see if one works better than the other. We work so hard to get these going only to have them perish in the winter is frustrating!! Would the terra cotta crack in the ground? I appreciate your advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here