Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting cuttings from OR to AZ.....?

Posted by stephanotis_1 8b AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 13:23

My mom is moving out of her house in Oregon after living there for 30 or so years. When she moved in, the whole long driveway was lined with mature Tropicanas and other types of roses. The shrubs have to be at least 35 or more years old. I will be visiting her at the end of the summer before she moves out, and wanted to get as many cuttings as I could to bring back to Arizona for rooting. What would be the best way to get them here? Mail them to myself Priority USPS? Carry on bag in Zip-Locs and wet paper towels? Other ideas? All help is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting cuttings from OR to AZ.....?

You might check with the airline. I think I remember reading about forumers taking cuttings in coolers with them as a carry on on the plane (small cooler). I dont know with the restrictions on flights if they would or would not allow you to do this).

Another way would be to mail them to yourself. Make sure the ends (cut ends) are wrapped with wet paper towels, then I would wrap in saran wrap, then I would wrap all of the cuttings in wet paper towels or newspaper, put them in a plastic bag of some sort (I have used the plastic grocery bags before).. others like ziplocks. All of this would be if you are mailing them out to yourself.

Good Luck!
Marleah

o

Thanks, I think I will just mail them to myself. We are leaving Oregon on a Monday, so I will get as many cuttings as will fit into a flat rate box and mail it Next Day for home. I've been practicing up on rooting cuttings, and so far so good. I'm trying both baggie and 2 liter bottle methods, and have seen some leaf growth both ways. I can't wait to get roots!

o

If you have room in your carry on I would bring some cuttings that way in ziplocks too :)

Marleah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here