Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lionessrose

Last Years Seedlings Blooms This Year

lionessrose
16 years ago

A few of my last season OP seedlings made it through their first winter and are finally blooming!
{{gwi:1240829}}{{gwi:1240831}}
{{gwi:1240833}}{{gwi:1240835}}
{{gwi:1240837}}{{gwi:1240839}}
The multi-color baby is very fragrant with the red and white not quite as fragrant.
The white one is blooming odd to me however. She is only blooming on one side of the plant, not so much as one bud on the other side. Is this strange?
Can't wait to see what my other babies are going to do, a couple more are just now getting buds.
Very excited in Idaho.The Lioness

Comments (7)

• mmmgonzo
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congratulations!

Isn't it so exciting to see blooms?
    I started playing around with seeds this past year/winter and know how you are feeling.

The roses are very pretty.
    I especially like the darker colored rose. What is the parent?

Marleah

• lionessrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OHHH YESS!!
    Blooms are the most exciting for me.
    It is like a Christmas present, you just don't know what it is going to be until it is opened. While waiting for them to open I feel like a little girl again on Christmas morning :o)
    I still have 7 of my OP roses from last year that didn't bloom last season nor have they this year... as of yet, crossing fingers!
    I was, however, excited they made it through my 4b winter and this seasons very late freezes.
    The red girl is my fav too. I call her Miss. Ash for short.
    I have named her after my neice but the name is much longer.
    Most of my roses are named after my kids,friends and family.
    All of my roses were OP (open pollination). It was a thing I thought I might try but had planned to fail at, so I didn't keep track of what roses I gathered the hips from. There were many places, roses and many hips :o)
    Here is Miss. Ash last season with her very first bloom:
    {{gwi:1240841}}
    And her later last season with many more blooms:
    {{gwi:1240843}}
    Good luck with your seeds, keep us posted :o)
    The Lioness

• triple_b
    16 years ago

I have pretty much lost track of most of what I have in those baggies. Yes it will be like Christmas next spring when they flower and I see what made it and what didn't. Oooooh, the anticipation!

• plantlovr
    16 years ago

Lionessrose, how did you manage to keep your rooted rose seedlings through the winter the first year. I had good rooted seedlings last year that bloomed a couple of times and put them in an unheated garage and lost them all. I now have new rooted cuttings but really don't know how to keep them through the winter. Could you please tell me exactly how you did it. Thank you. Your plants are beautiful. Thanks for the pictures.

• lionessrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Plantlovr:
    Ummm, well not really knowing what I was doing :o) I basically just planted them outside.
    They are not cuttings, however, they are roses I grew from seed.
    I gathered the seeds Aug & Sept of 2005.
    When a seed would germinate I planted it in a small (4 pack)pot.
    A few of my little guys January 2006:
    {{gwi:1235746}}
    When it got a little bigger I would transplant it into it's own larger pot. I kept them on heating pads and under grow lights in the house until May of 2006. I then took them outside and let them sit on the porch all day and would bring them back in at night. I did this for about a week. At the end of that week, I took them outside and planted them in the garden.
    After they had been planted in the garden I treated them like my established roses.
    They were watered the same, given Miracle Grow, weeded and so on... I didn't do anything special to or for them.
    I lost a few that didn't make it through winter but that was okay. I want good winter hardy roses, I am too lazy to deal with roses that need too much winter care.
    I tried the cutting thing but gave up after I lost 20 rooted cuttings. I didn't know one should only use 1/4 dose of fertilizer... I gave them a full dose and it killed ALL of them. Decided at that point to try propagating from seed.
    As for wintering a cutting I am clueless.
    I would think you could just plant it outside and let it go through winter. I hear some people root their cuttings outdoors in the ground, covering the cutting with a mason jar.
    Sorry I have not been much help :o(
    The Lioness

• plantlovr
    16 years ago

Lionessrose, Thank you for the info. I have never tried to start roses from seeds. My daughter-in-law and I use the misting method in sand to start our roses from cuttings. Works great. BUT we haven't mastered keeping them over the cold winter here yet. They all died last winter. We did not put them in the ground though, we just left them in pots in unheated garage and barn. I just may try it from seeds this fall. I do undersdtand that the new plant will not be just like the parent plant though. I don't like that idea but its worth a try to see what you get. How do you know when the hips are ready to take in and get seeds from them? That is cool that you can just keep them in the house til next spring. After they sprouted and you put them in little pots what temperature did you have the heat mat on. Did you leave the grow lights on 24 hours a day or how many hours a day did you leave it on. Thanks again for all your information. I guess I will just have to wing it as to what to do with our little rose starts for this fall.

• lionessrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello there :o)
    Sorry it took me so long to get back.
    You are correct, YOUR new rose will be a different rose. For me, that is the fun part, not knowing what you will be getting... climber, single bloom, color... plus you can name your rose. I have had a blast giving my little ones a name of their very own :o)
    Okay, as for the hips:"they" say you should gather them when they have turned an orange or red in color. Some take them if they are still green and have had germination(s) from green hips.
    The same day I gathered the hips ( red, orange and even some green: I believe you can gather the hips until the 1st freeze, as late as the end of October, for my zone that is), I removed the seeds.
    I made a batch of peroxide and water in a large measuring cup: 9 parts water/one part peroxide.
    I then cut the hip open with a sharp knife, removed the seeds and placed them in the water/peroxide solution.
    This process took me a little over 2 hours, thus the first seeds were in the water/peroxide for approx. 2+ hours and the last seeds only soaked for about 15 minutes or so,(it is said you should soak them for 12-24 hours, I didn't know this until after the fact.)
    Next I got out plain white paper towels. I used 3 of them layering one on top of the other. I then used them as a strainer, pouring the water/peroxide and seeds onto the towels.
    I then folded the towels over the seeds and gave it a good squeeze to remove the excess water/peroxide.
    You want the towels/seeds to be damp but not soaking wet. You don't want to let the seeds dry out.
    I then placed the seeds in the towels in a plastic container with a air tight lid.
    From there I placed the container in the bottom drawer of the fridge.
    I made up a spray bottle of the water/peroxide solution to use when the towels got a little dry, do not allow the seeds to dry out. Check on them from time to time.
    In about 3 months you should start to see germination. Not all seeds will germinate. I still have seeds that have not germinated but I have kept them.
    A germinated seed will get a little white tail. Once you have a tail place him/her in a seedling potting soil with the little white tail pointing down... it is the root not the top of the plant. I found this out the hard way :o)
    Regular potting soil killed a bunch of my babies, I think it is too heavy for them.
    You don't want to place too much soil over the top of the seed. I used a pencil to make the hole for the seed, not making the hole too deep.
    I set my heating pads on med. at night and low in the day, if the day temps got down too cold I left the pads on med.
    I purchased large plastic planting flats (kinda looked like a plastic cake pan) to set the pots on and then sat the flat on the heating pad.
    Light: They had approx. 16 hrs of light. I would turn the lights off at night before going to bed and back on in the morning.
    I purchased all of my lighting from Walmart. I couldn't find bulbs for plants but did find aquatic bulbs. They are pretty much the same thing and worked just fine.
    Watering: After trial and error, I found misting them with the water/peroxide solution 1-2 times a day worked the best. You want the soil moist but not too wet, the peroxide helps prevent the seedling from dampening off.
    After they got a little bigger I use a tab. spoon full of water/peroxide 1-2 times a day.
    Transplanting: After they got around 3-4 inches tall I transplanted them into a bigger pot. With pots hard to find, I found the large plastic pic-nic like cups worked well too:
    The blue cup in the back:
    {{gwi:1240846}}
    Also cottage cheese/sour cream, containers work well too.
    I used a cork screw to make drainage holes in the bottom of the cups/containers.
    They then went back to their spot on the heating pads and under the lights.
    From there May finally came and out to the garden they went.
    For your rooted cuttings you might want to post your question if you have not done so already.
    Let me know if you have any questions. I will try to find an answer :o)
    Good luck, The Lioness, Cheri