Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant propogated cuttings in the ground?

Posted by zooba72 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 15:41

I'm curious, I have a bunch of hydrangea and a few knockout rose cuttings that are rooted in pots. At what point can I plant these in the ground? I'm in zone 7. I can't seem to find any information on the proper time to move them. Sorry if this is a duplicate topic.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant propogated cuttings in the ground?

I'm curious, I have a bunch of knockout rose cuttings that are rooted in pots. At what point can I plant these in the ground? I'm in zone 7. I can't seem to find any information on the proper time to move them. Sorry if this is a duplicate topic.

Thanks in advance.

o

ya know, i have this same question, been looking around, and so far no answer. Some of the sites I have been reading talk about cuttings being taken during winter, and not permanently planted till next winter.

I would say that a lot of it depends on your location, with zone 7- I have read that you want to protect them during the winter by covering with dirt/mulch, or keep in garage with lights or sun windows.

Good luck to you, I might try planting half mine in the fall, the other half keep in pots, see how this year's warm winter will treat them. my zone 8b

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas A&M University-horticulture

o

Last year I started taking cuttings really late, like August/September. I had about six that rooted and I did what you suggested. Put the pots in a hole near the foundation and covered with mulch. We had a pretty tough winter and there was over three feet of snow piled on top of those plants, but three of them managed to survive. I still have them in pots. This year I started taking cuttings in the May/June timeframe and I have a bunch that rooted. Since these plants will be further along by the fall, I’m considering planting them in the ground and covering with mulch … Unless someone advises me against that. Good Luck with your cuttings.

o

Good question.
Here is what I do:
Most of my cuttings are taken in June. These should be rooted and hardy enough to be planted by fall
My fall cuttings will be uncovered in late May.
The only difference I do is plant them directly in the ground when I start them. That way they accumulate to the soil they will be planted in!

o

Thanks for the information. That makes sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here