Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help, disease or insect problem?

Posted by fgilles02420 z6 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 15:44

Some, but not all, of my roses are experiencing a disease or insect problem. I had thought it was a foliage disease but I have been told by two people that it was more likely insects (although I got different opinions on what insect). I can't figure out how to post photos here, but I can email them to anyone who would like to help me.

I had thought it was foliage disease because:
1) Some are affected badly. Some aren't affected at all. And in at least one case, there is a terribly affected rose right next to an unaffected one.

2) Rose 'The Fairy' has a moderate case - and its all around the lower perimeter of the plant, encircling it. So, I thought it was a disease perhaps being spread upwards from the foliage I didn't clean up well enough last year?

3) I can't actually see any insects.

Here's my question , in any case. I was told that modified Cornell formula didn't work on insects. But then why is there horticultural oil in it? Should I go ahead and try it? Does it make a difference what brand hort. oil I use (I have "All Seasons")? And can I use this on hybrid rugosas as I've heard rugosas don't like to be sprayed - but I wasn't sure if that just referred to the chemical sprays.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here