Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I do with Rose Hips?

Posted by kittyskid SC (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 6, 06 at 16:41

I'm a beginner gardener. Is there something I can do with the rose hips - like maybe make new rose bushes? Should I be pruning/cutting them? If so how? I have been deadheading the blooms. Right now I have about 10 blooms/buds and maybe 8 hips.
Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I do with Rose Hips?

By leaving the hips on you will inhibit new blooms on the plant. Take them off right now and make sure you deadhead the other blooms when it is time. In the fall, leave the hips on. Don't know about your weather, but here in Michigan, we pull the hips off after it gets below 28 degrees for one night, and the cold stratify for about 120 days. You should be able to search for more on this on this site.

o

Depends on the rose as far as hips inhibiting re-bloom. Some roses don't seem bothered, others do. Also, (except for some of the species roses) hips need at least 3-4+ months growing time to mature. Most hybridizers make their croses during the first spring flush in order to make sure their hips are mature enough by fall.

You do know that hybrid roses don't come true from seed? You can get a lot of interesting variations, but nothing exactly like the parent(s).

o

Kittyskid, would you be interested in sharing? I'd be glad to send a SASBE for a few hips. Oct. would probably be OK to send them or anytime after the first frost. Please let
me know.
Weldon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here