Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant rooted rose cuttings

Posted by teachrh Oklahoma (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 16:56

I'm new at propagating roses from cuttings. I rooted 5 cuttings that are growing well. When can they be planted in the ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant rooted rose cuttings

If they are growing well, you can harden them off and plant them now. Gradually take them out for a few hours every day, to expose them to more and more sun, until you are sure they can take it. It is good if they are in peat pots, so as not to disturb the roots. Otherwise, wait to be sure they have a good root-ball that will not fall apart when it comes out of the pot - this would be disaster.

o

Thanks for the reply. The cuttings have been outside for the past couple of weeks getting full sun til about 2pm so they should be hardened off. I just hope they can handle the hot summer temperatures and wind. Time will tell!

o

Just to be sure, I would pot them up in gallon pots and give them a better chance to get a good root system. We're so hot here, newly rooted cuttings won't make it on their own.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 10:38

I agree with floridarose. Don't go from cups to the ground but into a larger pot first for a while. You don't say where you are so I don't know if you have to contend with a cold winter or not but tiny rooted cuttings don't usually winter well.

o

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to leave the cuttings in their pots at least until late fall. It is so hot and dry here, southwest OK, that I'm afraid to put them in the ground right now. Sometimes winter is ugly, sometimes it's not. Will just have to play it by ear this year.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 20:36

I think you made the right decision. As for winter, if the plants are still small and in pots you can keep them in an unheated garage over the winter and they should do fine for you. Just remember to water them once a month all winter and by next spring they should be good to go into the ground!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here