Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Callous on cuttings?

Posted by nami 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 07 at 17:50

I snipped some cuttings on some of my roses such as - Spice, Mrs. B. R. Cant and Mlle Franziska Krueger. I put the cuttings in water on my kitchen window sill - no direct sunshine but bright light.

In about 3 days the cuttings developed a blackened and hardened portion at the end(where i snipped them from the bush) and where the lowest leaf sets were. The top sets of leaves are green.

Is this a callous?

Now should I transfer the cuttings to potting medium ?

Thanks,
nami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Callous on cuttings?

Sounds like a callous to me. I've never gotten anything like that on cuttings in water.

I would transfer asap to potting mix. Good luck.

o

• Posted by rosyone z8 / 31-33 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 0:38

Doesn't sound like it to me. Callus appears as a lumpy white swelling.

o

Doesn't sound like a callous to me either. A callous is usually a white group of swellings.

o
RE: Callous on cuttings? rosyyy

and this would be when to pot it up??

o

I look for white callous that sort of curls around the end of the stem. That will take several weeks sometimes, depending on the rose. Some callous sooner than others.

o

I find the best bet is to keep the cuttings in a bag until callous develops THEN stick them in the dirt (and cover with a jar.) Callous keeps the black rot (which is what I fear you have) from developing. I have had stuff root after rotting some, but it does NOT HELP I am sure.

o

I read somewhere that if you root rose cuttings at a very high temperature (+70-80 degrees) that they would have a tendency to develop a callus instead of rooting. Don't hold me to it, because I got this off the internet and don't know myself if it's true or not.

o

The callus is the first stage of rooting.Then the roots form. What is happening with these cuttings is rotting.

o

• Posted by melva 7b/8aTX (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 17, 07 at 14:35

Rotting is what I was thinking too..if my cuttings start to turn black on the ends, I pitch them, and try some more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here