Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunandshadow_gw

rose hips and seeds

sunandshadow
13 years ago

My roses are making the first batch of hips for the year. Anyone want to organize a rose seed swap this year? I'm mainly interested in tea rose seeds, maybe english rose seeds, and purple or bicolor rose seeds. What I've got are red and yellow tea roses. I'd also swap a batch of seeds for one rooted rose if you can figure out how to ship it safely - I haven't shipped live plants, not sure how that works.

Comments (8)

• karera
    13 years ago

If I can get my roses to hip, I would love to!
    I live in Southern Minnesota and have a white with pink tips peace rose bush and a hearty pink rose bush that I don't know the name of but has been around for a good 20 years.

• sunandshadow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those sound like roses I would like to have a few seeds from. I was admiring those Peace roses at the garden center earlier this year. :)

I have a pink minirose also but I've never seen it make a hip, that's why I didn't mention it in the first post. It made more roses this year than last year, so who knows, maybe it will, or I should try to hand-pollinate it. I also rescued a very old pink rose from my grandfather's garden after his death last year, but it only made one flower so far - did not like getting its taproot broken to transplant it.

• skayc1
    13 years ago

I got my first rose this year, a Rio Samba Hybrid Tea, and am letting the rose hips form, I would love to do a rose seed swap! I did read that the seeds do not breed true to type..so the more seeds from different roses would be so fun to watch grow!

• skayc1
    13 years ago

karera and anyone else who is like me and has never tried to grow rose seeds, this site tells how to get the seeds, how long it takes etc..I've saved this page and am continually reading it..I have noticed some hips forming on my Rio Samba, I decided to not deadhead, and just let the spent blooms to remain on the rose bush.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Hybridizing

• lookin4you2xist
    13 years ago

Sunandshadow, I should have some extra hips this year. I have a fair amount of hips already for this year. One rose that I have hips on that is cold hardy is Pride of Tryon. I grow a lot of roses that I doubt would make it in your zone
    (Florida here)Pride of Tryon sits in NEPA with no fuss, in a container, all winter, at my twin sisters house!
    Did you mean Hybrid Teas, and not Tea Roses?
    Regards,
    Andrew Grover

• sunandshadow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I googled Pride of Tryon, it looks pretty. :) Yes, sorry mine are hybrid teas - Don Juan and Golden Showers (shrub version not climber)/ Seeds may be pollinated by each other or a nearby pink hybrid tea or maybe the pink minirose. I just got a Double Delight also, it hasn't bloomed yet, but if it does it might end up as a pollen parent for a later batch of seeds.

What I personally want are big fragrant blossoms with lots of petals, I don't really like the kind of roses that only have a few rows of petals. And I'd prefer ones that will be okay as freestanding shrubs and are cold tolerant for zone 6.

• sunandshadow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

*excited* This week my new double delight bloomed for the first time, and also the first rose I grew from seed is about to bloom! I'm excited to see what it is, seems to be pink from the little bit of petal peeking out between the leaves. The seedling is about 8 inches tall and about 8 months old.

• lookin4you2xist
    13 years ago

You will get more pink roses than anything else. I still have my very first "dog" I grew from seed. ( I was lucky, mine was at least striped)

Congratulations on your seedling living!
    Andrew

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!