Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new at rose cuttings

Posted by michelle11 z7 AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 19:16

Hi. I have gottten several cuttings of roses that did well in this environments with no blackspot, disease, spraying, etc. I have dipped them in rooting hormone, placed them in potting soil/perlite in cups with drainage holes, and put the whole thing in a huge rubbermaid storage container. There is a small amount of water in the bottom of the container. I keep the lid closed all day, indoors next to a window. Lots of leaves are dropping off, one container has some mildew so I removed it, and a few cuttings have black stems. Should I not leave the lid on so much? Should I remove those cuttings with black stems? Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new at rose cuttings

• Posted by elks US5, Can6b (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 5:30

Perhaps too humid, but perhaps too hot if the window gets sun. Generally, cuttings like bright light but not direct sun.
The soil/perlite might also be holding too much water. Perlite by itself would be better, or with a smattering of soil if you think the cuttings might like a little to feed on once they root.
From your description, it sounds like your cuttings are goners, but try again.
Steve.

o

Don't know where in AL you are, but I would guess you are relatively close to birmingham. Try looking for a hydroponics store in the area, and try cuttings using coconut coir. The best by far for rooting cuttings. There seems to be quite a few in north Al. I'll be glad to help you locate if you let me know where in the state you are located.

o

I second the recommendation for using coir. My success before this year was, frankly, pathetic for rooting roses. Now I'm using coir as the medium - and for dampening the coir and watering in the cuttings I use very dilute hydrogen peroxide (1 cup water plus 1T hydrogen peroxide) along with Hormex 8 rooting powder. For me, its led to astonishing success.

By the way the easiest place to find coir may be Petco, or another large pet store. It's sold as reptile bedding in compressed bricks.

o

I think it's the heat. Generally the rule of thumb is that if the climate is warm, you will need to root in the open under shade or use a misting system. if it's cold or very cool, you get more sucess rooting in closed environment. I have a comprehensice guide for rose rooting in the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose propagation guide

o

Hi michelle11
There are so many reasons a own root cutting will not root.
Eg. : Temperature, light, humidity and the main thing is to use healthy cuttings and more.
Check out my Own Root Cutting set up with 30 images with step by step instructions. Link below.
George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Own Root Cuttings with 30 images

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here