Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Not many cuttings are still alive.

caflowerluver
11 years ago

You can see my first results from the newspaper burito method in the link below. Lately it hasn't been the ideal conditions for new cuttings. A lot has been going on, and they were neglected during a warm spell. Had to move them to the greenhouse that I covered with shade cloth and leave them for 7 days. (Combination of moving out because we had the house tented for termites and my back going out.) Most did not have many roots when I planted them, just callouses. Started April 2.

Oranges 'n Lemons 3/12

Snowfire 4/9

Brandy 5/9

Bewitched 5/6

JFK 1/8

Brass Band 7/15

I also started some cuttings of unknown roses that I got from a community garden that was being bulldozed. I think they were all either OGR or roses from the 1950's when the garden was first started. They were huge climbers with trunks the size of small trees. Started May 3.

Red 4/14

White 5/10

Peach 12/13 - this rooted really fast with lots of roots and is doing the best.

Also tried my hand at a purple striped florist rose I received for Mother's Day. Started May 18.

Purple stripe 5/10

Just a progress report on my experiment. I think the newspaper burrito method works and helps them get started, but what happens after that depends on the weather and circumstances. And also I think some roses are easier to root than others.

Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: My rooting results from the burrito method.

Comments (5)

• donaldvancouver
    11 years ago

Thanks very much for the update- especially for the success rates for each rose. It's very helpful information. What stage are they at now? Do they definitely have roots? Leaves?

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Most had a few roots when I planted them, I didn't want to disturb them by checking now. I just pulled out the black dead sticks. Some are starting to get leaves. I will just do a wait and see approach and check on them once a week to pull out any more dead ones.
    Clare

• donaldvancouver
    11 years ago

Thanks, Clare- I'm assuming these actively growing canes when you took the cuttings? I was under the impression that the burrito method worked best with hardwood cuttings, but if you took them in April in CA they must have been on green wood, yes?

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

donald - No they were last year's wood. I was late getting around to pruning, so used that as a reason to try out the burrito method. The ones at the community garden looked like they hadn't been pruned in years, so went for wood that was at least as thick as a pencil. Some were a lot thicker.
    Clare

• donaldvancouver
    11 years ago

Ok thanks, Clare- please keep us posted. I am trying every rose propagation technique known to science, with dismal results, so far. I have succeeded in the past but have now moved to a much more humid climate and everything that worked in the past no longer does. Anyway- thanks for sharing your info.