Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milieu_serene

Propagation medium & mini greenhouse

milieu_serene
13 years ago

I am trying to set up a propagation system which can take care of itself for days at a time.

Due to my work, I am at the farm about 3 days per week and near my office in north Atlanta about 4 days per week.

I have successfully propagated roses in an outside sand pit at the farm with misters running 24 hours per day.

I have read several accounts of mini greenhouses using various methods.

The new mini greenhouse:

This afternoon, I picked up a clear Sterilite 64 quart container. The dimensions are 26" x 16" x 12 1/4" with clear, removable lid. I will put drainage hole in the container.

The rooting medium:

I expect to put approximately 3-4" of sand in the bottom of the clear container. I have also considered MIXING some Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Soil into the sand. What do you think about the mixture?

Comments (8)

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is a link to the clear plastic storage box I am using http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=605&ProductCategory=252&section=1

Mine is a 64 quart with the dimensions above, but, this one looks a lot like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sterilite Clear Storage Box

• hartwood
    13 years ago

For small scale propagation, the method I teach at my propagation workshops and on my web site needs almost no attention at all once the cuttings are in. I tell people to check the roses once a week, and that's all. Go to my web site and click on the How To tab.

I know there are people here who have huge success propagating in plastic tubs, but I'm not one of them. I've tried it twice, and each time I succeeded in propagating a wide variety of fungus and no roses to speak of. There had to be something that I was neglecting to do, but I could never get it to work for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on How To

• saldut
    13 years ago

Thank you, Hartwood for posting the 'how-to', please can you answer a few ??.... do you water the cuttings while they are in the jars ? or let them dry-out ? how do you know if and when they are ready to plant-out of the jars ? and do you put them in pots, or out in the garden? I have never-ever had any cuttings take for me and I have tried several methods, and know I am doing something wrong but not sure what it is.... how does one know they need water? ... or don't need water ? Thanks for any advice and help you can offer, sally

• hartwood
    13 years ago

This time of year, I put the little 'greenhouse' containers outside under a bush in dappled shade. I have a particularly convenient azalea bush that serves my purposes.

It is not necessary to water the container. Enough rain water usually gets in (since it's outside) to keep the media moist. As long as there's condensation inside the soda bottle, you're good.

As soon as the cutting shows good roots along the side of the milk jug, I start to wean it by removing the bottle cap. After a week or two of this, depending on the weather, I remove the bottle and begin to transition the cutting from its dappled shade location into sunnier spots. You can transplant the cutting out of the milk jug when it has a good rootball. It's a half-gallon pot, after all, and in time the cutting should produce enough roots in this container to the garden. If you want, you can pot it up into a gallon container ... but I have never found this necessary.

The most important part of propagation is to take healthy cuttings and make sure that they are well hydrated before sticking them. When in doubt, wrap your cuttings in a damp paper towel, put them into a plastic bag, and let them sit in the refrigerator overnight.

Good luck.
    Connie

• saldut
    13 years ago

Thank you Connie, thanks for the information... I'll keep on trying.... I wonder if I have kept my cuttings too wet however, because they all developed a fungus- type on the stems, and turned brown, and never did get any roots....... that's why I asked abt. 'how wet'.... and they did have condensation on the inside of the jar.... there must be a 'happy medium' and I have not yet achieved it, I think I watered too much... I'll tackle it again, and I appreciate your help.... thanks, sally

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Just a thought sal, because I had the same problem and I've been experimenting with different things. It might not be that you are watering too much, it might be your soil is staying too wet (and so keeping the cutting too wet). Even though you had misters running all day, you probably had excellent drainage in the sand pit. Donna

• saldut
    13 years ago

Thank you Donna-- I don't have a mister, but I did keep the jar on top and it got fogged-up.... I'm thinking I watered too much because the cutting got a fungus-type 'bloom' and turned brown... I'm trying again and this time I'll not add any water to the pot, and see how that goes.... thanks, sally

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you would like to follow the experiment with the mini green house with updated pictures, follow the thread on the propagation forum at http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/propa/msg0620560825978.html?7

Here is a link that might be useful: Updates w pics on the mini Green House