Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper way to cut roses

Posted by NancyinPatzcuaro none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 21:02

Greetings,

I would like to know how to cut roses. Some of my roses produce multiple buds rather than single blooms for cutting. Most produce 3 buds, with the central one being largest and earliest, but others may produce 5 or 6 buds.

I try to cut blooms well down on the stem, just above an outward-facing leaf stalk. Is there another technique that produces better results? We have 5 wonderful roses but after the first flush of bloom the multiple buds appear.

When we lived in Colorado I could never grow roses because the deer would eat the buds before they could fully develop. Now that we live in Mexico, I am enjoying being able to grow and enjoy roses. We live at around 7,000 feet with almost ideal weather, though because we don't have the severe winter conditions of Colorado I assume the local roses are a little different than the ones I knew in Colorado.

I appreciate any help you can give me to solve this dilemma.

Nancy in Patzcuaro, Michoacan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper way to cut roses

Hi Nancy, you may get more responses on the General Rose Forum. As far as the number of buds go, it depends on the rose. If the rose is a Hybrid Tea, they normally have one bloom per stem. However, many times there will be side buds. What exhibitors do is remove the smaller side buds when the buds are just forming. That gives you one bloom, which will be larger than it would be if you left the two side buds. But usually when not exhibiting, most people allow all the buds to bloom. More blooms = good!.

If a rose puts out more than 3 buds, then it is likely a Floribunda, which has more buds per stem. So you should do a little research and find out what kind of roses you have. Different roses grow differently. Not all roses are like florist roses with long stem single blooms.

o
RE: Proper way to cut roses

Thanks for responding. The dilemma is that these roses produce both stems with a single bud and stems with multiples. Something tells me that the way we've been cutting the single bud stems is influencing the production of multiple bud stems.

As for knowing which kind of roses these are, I buy them at a flower market from people who probably don't know what kind they are either. I'm very much a newbie when it comes to roses, but I'm just glad I can grow them without deer.

I'll try to post on the general rose forum with the same question and see if anyone has another idea.

Thanks again--Nancy in Pátzcuaro

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here