Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jinnypearce

Will Willow work if twigs are dry?

jinnypearce
12 years ago

I have gotten way into propagating roses by cuttings lately, and giddy with the first signs of success, I am wanting to do more and more! But I want to experiment, and here is the thing- I haven't seen tons of Willow around here in Northern CA, but will be going to visit the folks down south (Alabama) in a couple of weeks, where I know they are in much greater abundance. So I am wondering... How fresh do the twigs need to be to make the rooting water?

Comments (5)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Jinny, I have no experience using Willow water, but, it is supposedly the Salcylic Acid in them which assists in rooting. Native Americans used Willow twigs for pain and inflamation relief, just as we use aspirin (which is a compound of Salcylic Acid). I have read the twigs were chewed both fresh and dried. Logically, I would think the necessary acids in the twigs would dry and concentrate. Steeping a tea from them, as you would from fresh ones should provide you with what you need. I don't have any idea what recipe to use, but that should be an exciting, interesting experiment! Kim

• jinnypearce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kim! What a beautiful logical deduction! You've sold me on going for it, for sure. Experimenting I go...I'll let you know how it works out-thanks! Jinny

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You're welcome Jinny! I eagerly await your discoveries! THIS is the way NEW knowledge is discovered, something we all need and which fuels even more exploration and discoveries. Thank you!

Should you want to play with another method, which should be perfectly suited to your willow water exploration, take a look at the cutting wrapping method which was shared on the Rose Hybridizers Association forum earlier this year. I've had great luck with it here and wanted to make it even easier to follow, so I created this blog. There are several entries documenting my progress with longer, larger cuttings for standard trunks and warmer weather wrapping. Enjoy and know someone is eagerly watching for your discoveries! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Wrapping Cuttings

• jinnypearce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kim! Funny thing is I am following your blog and already have two cuttings tucked away. I am so excited to try it. It is just so elegant-and vaguely, I don't know, Isis and Osiris-ey. Stuff like this really turns my crank. Thanks! I am following your blog-can't wait to read more!

Jinny

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Wow! Thank you, I'm honored! I wish the idea had been all mine initially, but that credit goes elsewhere, as posted in my initial entry. I just unwrapped some China rose cuttings a few days ago which appear to be happily growing. The cuttings I left in a bucket of water for a week before wrapping are doing well, with one leafing out! I'm also treating cuttings to send to someone back east so they have time in the mail to callus. It IS so elegantly simple, sort of like an Apple computer compared to a PC. Simply elegant, functional and just WORKS! (though I work on a PC) Thank you! Kim

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA