Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating a cut flower rose

Posted by msbumble z6 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 23:15

I took some pieces of stem from some roses I'd purchased at the store. I have a pretty good spot in a shady area where I've successfully propagated lots of things, including roses from live plants. My question is this: will I get the same flower from the propagated plants? Are field-grown commercial roses grafted onto rootstocks? Does the rootstock have any effect on the resulting flower or only the growth habit & cold tolerance?
Thanks,
MsB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating a cut flower rose

Yes, you will get the same flower, since you have a cutting from the original variety. The rootstock that the plant might have grown on won't have any effect on the flower, but the general hardiness of the variety will be the factor. For me, own root hybrid teas aren't as robust as those grown on R. multiflora rootstock, but you might have success. Besides, it is fun to see if you can get a plant started!

o
RE: Propagating a cut flower rose

Thank you. That's exactly what I hoped to hear! Well, except for the part about own-root roses being less hardy, but this is mainly for the fun of it anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here