Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds, Have I been mislead?

Posted by JeffPine 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 23:43

Hi
I recently purchased rose seeds from the web for a white climbing rose named "iceberg". After reading up on growing roses from seed on this resourceful forum, I now understand no roses grow true from seed. I wonder what the chances are of these seeds having white flowers or a climbing habit? Are they likely to closely resemble the parent?

I guess I should have done some research before jumping in!

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds, Have I been mislead?

The more appropriate question would be, will they even germinate? Iceberg isn't an easy one to get to germinate. Even if you do, there is no telling what it will look like, or even if it will be worth growing. Most rose seeds resulting from "open pollinated hips", are actually self pollinated. That is a lot of inbreeding which often results in inferior versions of the original. Good luck. Kim

o

I am growing rose seeds now.
Seedlings can look like the parent so you might get some white ones.

o

Thank You Kim and pdsavage. That is just as I suspected. Good thing I only spent 10$. Next time I'll just go for an established plant.

o

You're welcome Jeff. $10 is a bunch of money for rose seeds when many on the forums will send them to you for postage. Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here