Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My red long stem roses die, what happened? :-(

Posted by OctopusInc none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 23:55

Hello rose experts,
I recently attempted to grow roses from flowers I purchased at the store. They were long stem red roses and smelled amazing. I bought them, took them home, fluted the bottom and dipped in rooting hormone, then planted in pots with moisture tents over them. I was very happy to see them survive and shoot out some roots.

After they shot roots I transplanted one of them into soil I make for figs (pine mulch, perlite, organic cow manure, and pH adjusted to 6.2), another one I left in the pot I planted it in, and the third one I left in a moisture box. The one potted in fig mix and the one left in its pot were both then left without moisture tents.

Not long after all three died. The weather got into the 95 area and they all withered up and turned brown. What did I do wrong? Was it just the heat? Do long stem reds just not do well from flower cuttings? Should I have grafted? I'm just totally at a loss and hopefully someone can help shed some light on my dead flowers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My red long stem roses die, what happened? :-(

I planted quite a few cuttings this spring, but I made sure that they were at least a year old before going out into the garden. I think if they are not mature enough, they are not as likely to survive the transition. Also, did you slowly adjust them to the stronger light outside??

Maude

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 10:41

They probably needed to be kept more moist for a longer time. When I transplant my cuttings up from the starter cups they go into 1 gallon pots for the rest of the year and then either into the ground or a regular size pot the next spring. For the winter the stay in the little greenhouse outside.

o

With cuttings, anything can go wrong, but I would focus on hydration/heat, first, then the mix you're using second.

On a 95F day, plants can dry out very fast. A small cutting can't pull water fast enough from the soil to keep up. You also have to be careful about transplanting them into a mix that's too hot. I normally pot up in pro-mix, which has zero fertilizer, and use a very weak solution of Miracle Gro to feed them for a month or two. With a small cutting, too much fertilizer (organic included) can cook them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here