Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old rose bush, needs to move long distance

Posted by oslofile 28673 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 1:42

I have a rose bush my mother gave to my motherin law some 40 years ago. It is from a plant started in the early 1950's. the cutting took a lot of tries before it took. I didn't do it. I moved the whole bush several years ago and it survived, but it has always been plagued by beetles, and fungi. It isn't doing well. I am moving and would like to take the bush with me. I need advice on how to. I am going to fertalize the bush tomorrow. I was thinking about spraying the bush with a mild dish soap. The question here is what should I do. I will be moving 160 miles away.

The other question I want to take some cuttings to insure that I have several chances of it surviving. My problem is I am totally new to rose bushes and I have read the bottle method but have no idea how it actually works. Could someone help me with a cutting. Please, I am a raw beginner and am not familiar with some of the lingo

I need all the help I can get and it will all be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what it is. It has red flowers and one of the bushes my mother has was American Beauty. but I don't know if that is the one. thanks in advance. oslo in NC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old rose bush, needs to move long distance

I think you leave it until too late. When you dig the bush up, just make sure you have a huge plastic bag to put it in immediately. Then keep this bag in the coolest spot away from the Sun. The bag helps to keep the moisture in so the roots won't dry out.

Taking cutting is OK. Make sure you take fairly mature canes and seal into aplastic bag and keep in your fridge just like keeping veggies.

Now, the next thing you might like to venture is to graft (bud) it on another live host to make sure you have a copy. You can buy a potted rose of easy type like Iceberg or something that grow very easily. Take a bud off this rose and graft on the potted rose. This buy you time to do more later when you settle at the new place.

o
RE: old rose bush, needs to move long distance

I just moved a Madame Alfred Carriere that is 3 years old and 6 feet tall. I first dug a 4 foot diameter circle around the rose (2 foot radius). I recut the circle every few days all the while watering the root ball. I did this for 2 weeks. Then I halved the circle to form a 2 foot diameter root ball. I recut this for 2 weeks continuing to water the root ball. I moved it 2 days ago with no problem whatsoever. The root ball was contained and I did not even lose a bloom. I received this advice from Pete41. He said that this is the way the professionals move older plants. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here