Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
limequilla_gw

New to Roses - Am I reading this right?

limequilla
17 years ago

Hi all --

I just read through the faq. I have never rooted roses before, but I have rooted many other things. In fact I've never grown roses. I understand all the nodes and leaves and misting - no problem.

The timing is what surprises me.

If I go garden visiting tomorrow and see a rose blooming and ask the owner to cut some flowers for me with 8" stems I can use them as cuttings? Really?

What if I go to the florist and see some roses, not HTs, but little bunch roses. I can root those, too?

I can't believe this has never come to my attention before!

Let me know if I am way off base,

Thanks,

Lime

Comments (6)

• ramblinrosez7b
    17 years ago

Hi Lime,

That is exactly what I did, my first year of rooting rose cuttings was an adventure for me. I drove to every neighborhood I could locally and ask people if I could have a cutting or two from their rose bushes. Everyone was very nice and I got quite a few cuttings that way. Well out of about 30 cuttings I got 10 new rose bushes. I also bought a rose from the grocery store, it was just a long stemed coral colored rose and I think they were like 3 roses for a dollar. Well I took it home, cut the flower bloom off and rooted it up and now I have a 4 ft. rose bush out in the back yard with pretty coral colored roses that stay on the bush for 2 weeks.
    Here she is
    {{gwi:1241549}}

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

I always make a trip to the florists in the winter to root up some roses. See remarks from George mander on how to do this in your home. I have very good success both outside and in.

• limequilla
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the responses! That's a great rose you have

I went yesterday to some friend's houses, but their roses only bloom in June and they said the roses were early this year. Would it have worked anyway on older wood? Older by about 2 weeks.

Last night DH and I went past a pretty cottage garden not too far away and the owner was outside! DH wouldn't stop the car, though. LOL!

Now I am off to a friend's garden who is very serious, especially about her roses. Sort of like the people probably reading this :) Not sure if she'll let me snag any or not. I'm not even sure if I'll have the guts to ask her.

That would be an interesting thread: What would you do if a friend, who is not a rose gardner, asked you for some cuttings from your precious roses?

Lime

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

If you really want to try, you can go to website for Unic Cal-Davis. They sell cuttings of their roses. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is UCal-Davis site...

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Lime, yes you can still take cuttings from your friend's once-blooming rose.

On your last question, I'm deadheading anyway, so if someone wanted a cutting, I would give them the left overs from my rounds of deadheading.

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Lime, you can always offer a plant trade, or offer to try rooting a few cuttings and give them one if anything strikes. I traded tractor work for Austrian Copper cuttings. :-) I traded my Maximillians for my neighbor's Iris clumps.

FWIW, I got the prettiest single rose for my birthday (June), left it in a vase too long, and it sent up leaves! It's in a rooting pot now, I hope it sends out roots.

Have fun with rooting.

Cheers,
    Michelle

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA