Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Roses - Am I reading this right?

Posted by limequilla 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 3:16

Hi all --

I just read through the faq. I have never rooted roses before, but I have rooted many other things. In fact I've never grown roses. I understand all the nodes and leaves and misting - no problem.

The timing is what surprises me.

If I go garden visiting tomorrow and see a rose blooming and ask the owner to cut some flowers for me with 8" stems I can use them as cuttings? Really?

What if I go to the florist and see some roses, not HTs, but little bunch roses. I can root those, too?

I can't believe this has never come to my attention before!

Let me know if I am way off base,
Thanks,
Lime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Roses - Am I reading this right?

Hi Lime,

That is exactly what I did, my first year of rooting rose cuttings was an adventure for me. I drove to every neighborhood I could locally and ask people if I could have a cutting or two from their rose bushes. Everyone was very nice and I got quite a few cuttings that way. Well out of about 30 cuttings I got 10 new rose bushes. I also bought a rose from the grocery store, it was just a long stemed coral colored rose and I think they were like 3 roses for a dollar. Well I took it home, cut the flower bloom off and rooted it up and now I have a 4 ft. rose bush out in the back yard with pretty coral colored roses that stay on the bush for 2 weeks.
Here she is
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

I always make a trip to the florists in the winter to root up some roses. See remarks from George mander on how to do this in your home. I have very good success both outside and in.

o

Wow! Thanks for the responses! That's a great rose you have

I went yesterday to some friend's houses, but their roses only bloom in June and they said the roses were early this year. Would it have worked anyway on older wood? Older by about 2 weeks.

Last night DH and I went past a pretty cottage garden not too far away and the owner was outside! DH wouldn't stop the car, though. LOL!

Now I am off to a friend's garden who is very serious, especially about her roses. Sort of like the people probably reading this :) Not sure if she'll let me snag any or not. I'm not even sure if I'll have the guts to ask her.

That would be an interesting thread: What would you do if a friend, who is not a rose gardner, asked you for some cuttings from your precious roses?

Lime

o

If you really want to try, you can go to website for Unic Cal-Davis. They sell cuttings of their roses. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is UCal-Davis site...

o

Lime, yes you can still take cuttings from your friend's once-blooming rose.

On your last question, I'm deadheading anyway, so if someone wanted a cutting, I would give them the left overs from my rounds of deadheading.

o

Lime, you can always offer a plant trade, or offer to try rooting a few cuttings and give them one if anything strikes. I traded tractor work for Austrian Copper cuttings. :-) I traded my Maximillians for my neighbor's Iris clumps.

FWIW, I got the prettiest single rose for my birthday (June), left it in a vase too long, and it sent up leaves! It's in a rooting pot now, I hope it sends out roots.

Have fun with rooting.

Cheers,
Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here