Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jinnypearce

When and how to repot cuttings that have struck

jinnypearce
12 years ago

Hey, everybody! I've been going gung ho with your suggestions and therefore find myself with a bunch of cuttings from the Heritage Rose Group's El Cerrito show which have struck...but now I don't know what to do with them! Some are in coir, some in a perlite/soil mix. I am mostly worried about those in the coir, nutrient wise...I've set up a dedicated nursery for them...beds, pot ghetto...but I am not sure. Repot them in ptting soil? Stitch them in the ground? Hold off 'til fall...I just don't know! I've got several Nuits de Young, a Favorite de Sultaine, Hansa, Rose de Recht, pilzaritos, Cumberland Blue, Homestead...and a few which are still touch and go...like a Blanche Mousseau, a possible Alba. Anyway, I am in Berkeley, Ca...and very anxious that my new babies thrive! I realize this has more than likely been posted, and probably somewhere obvious, but it escapes me! Have a bunch more that have struck from later efforts, too...so I am a but like a parent coming home with new born multiples...uh!!!??? Any answers or directions as to where to find them would be most appreciated! -totally obcessed newbie zealot

Comments (8)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

If they have a good root ball and are putting out new growth you can pot them up to a bigger pot, like a one gallon size, in good potting soil. I'm not in your zone but I wouldn't put them right into the ground just yet. In pots you can move them about if it gets super hot or some other aberrant weather comes up.

• jinnypearce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Siel. I took your advice and left them potted and got them in my regular planting mixture, in larger pots. I am curious, though-do you have any idea how long a rose cutting can be sustained, nutrient wise, in the rooting mixture, particularly coir or sand? Just scientifically curious!

Again, I appreciate your advice!
    Jinny

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Jinny! If you've potted them into real soil, don't worry about it. Just keep them watered properly. If they're still in a rooting medium, you might consider giving them very weak solutions of your favorite liquid or water soluble fertilizer. If it says to mix one tablespoon per gallon, try a quarter tablespoon per gallon. Water them well the morning you wish to fertilize, then give them a small dose of the very dilute mixture that afternoon. You can always add more or feed again in a short time. As long as they are sufficiently hydrated, a very weak solution of "salty" (fertilizer) water shouldn't hurt them.

Can those still in rooting medium (and which have roots) be transplanted into regular potting soil yet? Those which aren't rooted yet don't need any fertilizer. They really don't have roots to make use of it yet, but you CAN mix up some weak water soluble or liquid fertilizer and experiment with foliar feeding them. Use a regular spray bottle with the spray set as fine as possible and after watering them well, gently mist the fertilizer solution over the foliage and canes. I wouldn't think you would want to do it frequently, but just that little bit of extra nutrients absorbed through the top parts could give them the kick-start they need. It would actually make a very interesting experiment if you have enough of any of them to try it. Set up one batch to leave alone and continue treating as you have. The second bunch can be lightly foliar fed, then you can report back so we can all learn from your experiment.

Whichever route you choose, good luck! We're waiting for your next report! Thanks. Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Cool idea, Kim! I might try that myself next time I do cuttings!

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You're welcome, Seil! Can't wait to hear what your results are. Kim

• jinnypearce
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kim, thank you for the detailed instructions. I have roses going in every stage, so there is plenty to experiment with. Even have some wrapped up burrito style...others rooting, still in rooting medium, others potted, so I'll try your suggestions and see what happens! Thanks!

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Neat Jinny! You're welcome! I'm excited to hear what worked well for you. Much of this is still uncharted territory. My conditions are probably quite different from yours, so my results will also vary quite a bit. It's fascinating following everyone's exploration and successes. Thank you! Kim

• FloridaHerbHouse
    12 years ago

We have great success re-potting our pink and red roses using a blend of mushroom manure and garden compost mixed with a good quality potting soil.

Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Dried Pink Rose Petals