Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help needed

Posted by blackgavotte 5aNS (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 6:56

the other day I gave a sweet old lady a drive home. She lives near me. We live just outside Yarmouth N. S. My passion is roses, and since moving here in Sept. 11 I am finding that my beloved English type ( Austins) do not like the air, ground, whatever, they are not doing as well as the tougher Morden types, which I like, but do not LOVE... anyhoo.... there, outside her window, was a marvellous soft pink, fragrant rose, with a "baby" beside it which had just sprung up last year apparently. I will probably never know its name, but if I could only make a cutting which would take,... ( no, I don't have a greenhouse, timed mister, or anything special like that.) In the past I've never been able to make a cutting take. Any advice would be most welcome, this particular rose has been at her house since before she moved there, over 50 years ago !!!!!!!! and is very healthy and happy, quite lovely.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help needed

She won't let you adopt the baby? That is probably the easiest route.

It is probably an old European type of once blooming OGR. There are a lot of them. Most of them are reasonably easy to root.

The usual type of cutting for roses is a semi-hardwood cutting. This is the same age and size that you get by deadheading, or cutting roses for the house. It should be maybe 4 or 5 inches long, with the flower removed. This goes into some sort of humid environment, in partial sun, with the idea that it will root before it rots. Exactly how you do that has a lot of variation. I've done in the ground, on the east side of the house underneath a very large glass jar, and I've done in the basement, under fluorescent lights in baggies. It's the same operation.

o

Hi. in early spring i took a few cuttings from my neighbor's rose bush, l left two sets of five leaves and used a little of rooting powder then i planted in a small pots. I left them in the balcony and from 3 cuttings only one rooted ,and last week it game me the first rose.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 13:13

Doing cuttings is always iffy at best so don't feel like a failure. You have to keep trying and keep trying different methods until you find the one that works best for you. There are as many methods as there are growers so keep trying them out. Do a search here and I'm sure you'll come up with several right away.

I have to agree with Mad though, seems to me that baby sucker has your name on it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here