Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

Yello rose (wild like) bush wanted:

maidinmontana
14 years ago

Hi, I hope this gets to the people that can help.

I'm looking for the old fashioned yellow rose bush. I wouldn't call it a climbing rose, rather a rose tree. . . resmebles a lilac bush if you will. They are extremly fragrant and the flowers are single (I think).

Anyway, my grandmother planted one when I was born (48 years ago) and as a child I remember her walking me thru her yard every summer to show me "baby doll" which is what she named the rose. I have a new grand daughter and would like to carry on the tradition.

If someone has this or knows the name so I can look it up to buy it I would sure be grateful.

Thanks in advance. . .

Comments (2)

• kaylah
    14 years ago

There is Persian Yellow, which is a deep yellow, Harison's yellow, lighter yellow, rosa lutea foetida,single, and rosa foetida bi-color, which is orange and single.
    all of these were brought west with the pioneers a long time ago. They used to be all over towns when I was a kid. The local nursery here carries rosa foetida bi-color which is orange and Harison's Yellow.
    Harison's Yellow was a chance seedling discovered by Dr. Harison in New York City.
    This rosa is called rosa foetida because some people don't like the smell. I think Persian Yellow is disagreeable, but the others I like.
    If you get to driving the alleys in the old part of town you can find them still.
    Now this rose I'm describing blooms in June, once a year.

• klinko16
    14 years ago

I had a Persian Yellow.
    This yellow rose is BAD BAD BAD news for Blackspot.
    Regularly all of the leaves will fall off by the end of July.
    The problem is that the blackspot will spread and infect all of your other rose bushes, and cause them to die.
    You can carry on the tradition of a fragrant rose in your garden, but the child doesn't have your memory, so she can form a new memory, which will be just as pleasant and long lasting as yours, if you grow a newer variety of highly fragrant Hybrid Teas, such as those that have won the
    James Alexander Gamble Fragrance Medal such as
    Crimson Glory Wilhelm Kordes 1961
    Tiffany Robert Lindquist 1962
    Chrysler Imperial Dr. Walter E. Lammerts 1965
    Sutter's Gold Herbert C. Swim 1966
    Granada Robert Lindquist 1968
    Fragrant Cloud Mathias Tantau 1970
    Papa Meilland Alain Meilland 1974
    Sunsprite Wilhelm Kordes 1979
    Double Delight Herbert C. Swim & Arnold W. Ellis 1986
    Fragrant Hour Sam McGredy IV 1997
    Angel Face Herbert C. Swim and Oliver Weeks 2002
    Secret Daniel Tracey 2003
    Mister Lincoln

or you could pick a David Austin, of which there are many that are highly fragrant. Personally I have had excellent results with Tiffany, a most beautiful classic rose.
    Lillian Austin, Mary Rose, Winchester Cathedral, Benjamin Britten, and many many others are also worthwhile.