Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which roses get pruned for winter?

Posted by hiswife Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 08 at 10:15

Good Morning! We have several different kinds of roses and I'm having trouble finding the information as to which ones get pruned for winter.

We have two Blazing Red climbing roses, which have produced sprays of roses, one pink hybrid and 4 3 sister roses..
The hybrid we pruned back each late fall and cover with hay for the winter and it does very well and grows larger by the year with more blooms as it grows.

The blazing red, however, has little information to its winter care.

The 3 sister roses, like the hybrid rose, we pruned back & cover with hay which seems to boost them the following year.

So my question is... do we prune back blazing red climbers? if so, how far down do I cut, when do i prune it ? We are mid-state Ohio so our winters can be mild or cruel depending on what it decides to do. Last winter was hard with about 2-3 feet of snow at one point.

Thanks for all the fabulous information I've gotten from this site! You Rock!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which roses get pruned for winter?

You might want to post this over on the mail Roses Forum.

I don't prune in the winter, only in early spring. Other zone 5'ers can help you on the other forum.

o
Link

I meant "over on the MAIN" Roses Forum (link below). This is the Rose Propagation forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Forum

o
RE: which roses get pruned for winter?

One doesn't need to prune climbers--just cut out the dead wood. I assume you mean hybrid teas, not hybrid perpetuals, hybrid musks, hybrid bourbons...I don't know what you mean by '3 sisters' roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here