Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

I did something bad but the results look good...

michelle_co
17 years ago

Most of my rose cuttings (in soda bottles and baggies) are putting on new leaves, but no sign of roots yet. I took one of the oldest baggies that has 3 cuttings (stuck 6/19), pulled em up (I know, don't yell) - they are in coir which is very loose - and dipped the basal end in a weak solution of superthrive (1 drop in 2 gallons of water) and re-stuck 'em. The results so far are good... The calloused ends quickly popped longer granulations that look like they will develop into roots.

So... That baggie is my dedicated group that I pull up and peek at. The other groups (at least 12 other containers) are being left undisturbed.

I did give a different plant a foliar application of Superthrive, to see if anything develops. It's another one that has been sitting around for almost a month, now growing leaves but no roots.

And a couple of roses have hot, fresh rooting hormone versus my older stuff. Not a rigorous testing environment, but maybe useful info.

I will post an update when something new happens.

@#$%!! I want roots!!!!

Cheers,

Michelle

Comments (4)

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

Aren't leaves sometimes a sign that there will be roots? Or is there a callous that will cause them to dry up and die? I'm leaving my one with one baby leaf alone, don't know if roots will come out of the little hole I made in the bottom of the plastic cup or not, I look once in awhile. Will wing it on that.

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Almost all of mine have sent up a new stem with 3-5 leaves - or more - I have yet to see any roots. After I wrote the post, I pulled up one of the re-dipped cuttings (in the batch that I allow myself to tinker with) and it is indeed sending off real roots. FINALLY! They are tiny, but the callous has definitely granulated into roots.

As a sidenote I have lost maybe 2 cuttings to fungus. I am not noticing that coir is any more protective against fungus than woodchips/peat. Though I'm not getting mushrooms in the coir. :-)

The most impressive cutting, to me, is off of a mini (Red Cascade). It's something my dog knocked off the bush rough-housing. It sat on the ground for a while and was mostly crunchy/dried up when I found it. I cleaned it up, let it sit in water for a couple of hours to hydrate. The leaves were too dry to resuscitate. Stuck the stem in a pot a week ago - and it's sending up a teensy new set of leaves. It's a tough little booger!

Cheers,
    Michelle

• woodroid
    17 years ago

I ain't yelling. Just quit peeking. I've had cuttings that took six months (don't ask me how they survived)to put out roots.

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

Now that would be nice. Just stick it in a pot. Some roses must be easier to root than others and local condition and environment probably play a part in it, too. Or your thumb is really green, maybe the dog had a role in it like it was meant to be :-).

If it cools down a bit, maybe in late August, I'm thinking of trying that jar method on a second batch of this year's cuttings and overwinter them.

I was thrilled to see that little leaf, but am trying not to get my hopes up too much. I transplanted some other roses, a couple died back then started putting out a few new little leaves then died. In retrospect, maybe I should have pruned them way down. I severely prune roses I'm trying to get rid of and they just put out more shoots. Of the 6 or so I transplanted, 2 have fairly healthy looking leaves and might make it, was hoping for more than that but will take what I get.

But we've got some really hot weather coming, and I'm going to have to watch things like a hawk.

I did notice one thing that might be important. Of the 6 or so transplants, the one that was the smallest and gets the most shade put out the most new leaves, one other plant that gets more sun put out some new ones, too. The rest look dead, but I'm leaving them there in case they have some roots left and shoot up something in the spring.

It seems from my meager experience that fragile, new roses should not be put in a lot of sun until they are stronger and have a good root system.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH