Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
overdrive_gw

Leaf- bud cutting success. Purple Pavement.

overdrive
10 years ago

Hi, I called it a "modified Burrito", but this is basically leaf bud method - I used just barely bloomed Purple Pavement rugosa, which is tricky because the foliage and stem will easily rot. I took semi-ripe cuttings with just two buds, and one leaf, so about 2" of stem with 2 buds and one leaf. The cutting is dipped in rooting gel, and then the entire stem is buried (which is the resemblance to burrito), just the leaf is sticking out of the medium. My medium is: partly rotted Christmas tree (rotted for 2 years and obviously full of fungal micelia) 3 parts, commercial compost 1 part, peat moss 1 part. I add 2 cups of lime for a wheel barrow full of the medium. Notice I use NON-STERILE medium - chock full of bacteria and fungi!!! I use 4" peat pots, and each tray of cuttings is covered with a plastic cover, and then I left it under fluorescent light for 24/7 at 72 degrees. Nothing else was done, and for many days I forgot about them, and didn't even check. Now at 4 weeks later, I have about 50% or more rootings success - 12 dozen cuttings, and 6 dozen rooted. The rest turn brown and die. I think I am doing pretty well! - have a nice day, paul m.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus