Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice Please

Posted by kansasgardengirl Z5 KS (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 07 at 12:15

I propogated rose bush cuttings - don't know what kind of rose bush. I scraped them stem, applied rooting hormone, put them in 1/2 peat, 1/4 sand, 1/4 vermiculite, and covered them with a jar in the greenhouse. They took off, put on new leaves and were looking just perfect. Just as soon as I took the jar off they wilted in just a matter of an hour. I've still got one growing like crazy under the jar. What do I do? As soon as I lift the jar it will die, I tried proping the jar up just a little and that one died also. Thank you for helping me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice Please

How big is the root system? I use peat pots and don't even think of messing with them until the roots start growing through the pots. Other people use clear plastic containers so the roots are easily visible.

It sounds like there just aren't enough roots yet to support the cutting.

o

i think that you may confusing getting top growth with root growth. just because a cutting sprouts new top growth, that is not an indication that roots have developed...all it means is that the cuttings is getting enough water to support leaf growth, and that could be coming up through the stem, even without roots, like a cut rose in a vase..it's a good sign, but leave them under glass for a while longer. you didn't say how long ago you stuck the cuttings, but my guess is that you don't have roots quite yet..hang in there...donna

o

Oh, how sad. My impatience caused the loss of four other nice cuttings. I started them May 27th. I have no idea what the roots look like. How long would you suggest I leave this last one under glass?

My mother (77) said Mamaw would just stick a rose cutting in the ground and stick a jar over it. Mother couldn't remember anymore details. These cuttings seemed to have been doing very well in the greenhouse in the section under a shade cloth.

Thank you so much for your help. Roses seem very persnickety!

o

• Posted by elks US5, Can6b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 6:55

It is also possible that the sudden change in humidity took the plants out. If they were struck the end of May, two months should be enough for them to have rooted.
To try to harden off the last, tip the bottle at little so that the humidity drops but not entirely. After a dew days, remove the bottle. I use two litre, plastic pop bottles whose caps serve the same purpose.
Good luck,
Steve.

o

you mentioned you place them in a greenhouse. I have a 6x8 GH and i do not cover my cuttings but i have a misting system that runs everyday for a few hrs which provides cooling and humidity. I also use plastic cups for my cuttings to see the roots but the best way of knowing is by slightly tugging on the slip

o

Thank you all for the comments and help. JR

o

I think shade cloth or some sort of diffusion from the blast of the sun's rays may very well be the key. They will get sufficient light but they won't cook.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here