Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kim Rupert on preventing molds on rootings and seedlings

Posted by Strawberryhill 5a IL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 12:35

My houseplants indoor didn't do well last winter: mold and black canker, white flies, etc. The indoor plants grown in MiracleGro potting soil retained too much moisture, so I asked Kim Rupert as to what's the best soil to prevent molds.

Kim is the breeder and rosarian in California who advised the "burrito wrap" method to create calluses for better rooting. He advised NOT TO COVER rootings in a damp climate to prevent molding. Here are some questions I asked Kim and his answers:

Straw: "I see your cuttings do really well in Styrofoam coffee cups, how do you prepare the soil to prevent molding?"

Kim Rupert: "I only use bagged potting soil with lots of holes in the cup bottoms. I stack several cups then push a pencil through their bottoms in several places. As long as your potting soil is fresh, not previously planted, and there are enough drain holes, it doesn't mold. "

Straw: "Some folks said to microwave the soil, but I already bought a seed tray with tiny cells."

Kim Rupert: "In those tiny cells, I'd use a seed starter mix like this. (See the link below)

You want it to drain quickly, retain moisture, remain light and friable so small seedlings can push up through it without damaging them. Since you'll be watering inside that bath room tub, it doesn't have to stay as wet as it would need to outside where it's hot and dry (here). If your water inside is softened, you don't want to use it as they need the minerals and can't tolerate any sodium softeners can add.

If you raise them outside after the last chances of hard, killing frost, you won't have to worry about rotting or damping off. Use a well draining but moisture-retaining with at least a third coarse sand mixed in, then cover the surface with about a quarter to half inch of perlite. Wind can blow it away, so something with deep sides like the box we discussed could be used. "

In one of the thread on rooting, Kim advised planting cuttings deep in the soil, leaving only 1" to 2" above ground. Kim wrote: "As long as you experience higher relative humidity, covering your cuttings with plastic or glass is going to pretty much guaranty they'll rot. If you're having those issues, try planting them deeply so at least half (or more if possible) of the cuttings are under the soil level. That should help without the mold issues."

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Soil mix that Kim Recommended

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kim Rupert on preventing molds on rootings and seedlings

Thanks for the info! I lose more cuttings to rot than anything else.

o

I was looking at how to grow roses from seeds. One source suggested half potting soil, and half vermiculite (the white stuff). I don't recommend MiracleGro potting soil, that stuff is full of peat moss, and is famous for white flies, gnats indoor, and canker on my indoor herbs.

I'll use Ball's potting soil made for indoor usage with 55% composted fine pine bark and lime to suppress fungal growth. Will report on the result later.

o

I recommend hydrogen peroxide to suppress fungal growth. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: What to do when the seeds sprout.

o

organic soil mix is very effective, research by Allison Jack at Cornell shows worm castings have bacteria that block the ability of fungus to find out where to go.
Another link for leaf compost:
http://aem.asm.org/content/69/1/452.full

Here is a link that might be useful: Allison Jack's research with earthworm castings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here