Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Davis rose

Posted by blossom123 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 12:36

Hi,

I saw in HMF that this rose is a wonderful cane-hardy climber up to Zone 2b. I live in Waukesha, Wisconsin, which is Zone 5a/5b and can be taken close to 4. Does anyone grow this rose here, and how does it do for you.
Is it disease resistant in our humid weather ?

Can I grow this rose from cuttings ? Ifso, I Would love to have some cuttings and be interetsted in trading with you.

I have
champlain,
scarlet meidiland,
william baffin,
Red Eden rose

PLMK.
Thank you so much !
-Blossom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Davis rose

Yeah, I've got John Davis. They are fantastic hardy roses from the Explorer series developed by the Agriculture Dept. of Canada, when they still had staff, and were actually doing stuff. She would plant out the achenes in Kapuskasing, zone 2, and anything that survived there was selected. It grows well from cuttings, and I've got two growing on their own roots. I've got roses coming out of my ears at the moment, so I don't need any more. Sativa.

o

Thanks for the info cannabisgrower. I see you are in Canada, so we cannot exchange plants, is that right ?
I have never traded across the border.

PLMK.

thanks,
Blossom

o

I think cuttings is pretty much the same as if I went to the store and bought some cut roses from Mexico. I don't see any difference, I pick up my stuff in Michigan, because you're right, mailing things across the border doesn't work very well.

o

Hello there.
I do have John Davis.
He is a wee bit of a feller, planted last season arriving in a 4X5 inch pot from High Country Roses all of maybe 3 inches tall.
He is an own root and nearing a little over a foot tall this season.
I am located in Idaho zone 4b, not humid here, more so hot and dry.
For his tiny little size he came back strong, made it through an unprotected winter, has new growth and gave me quite a lot of blooms this season.
I couldn't find a patent, so I assume it is okay to propagate.
I don't know if a cutting would work with his infant size but would be happy to send you one if you think you can make it grow.
Heirloom and High Country Roses normally offer it however it appears both are sold out at this time.
Lioness

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here