Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Roses Root Every Single Time!

echinaceamaniac
15 years ago

I had trouble rooting my roses because I don't have a mister, etc. I found this on the American Rose Society's web site and it has step by step instructions with photos. This works in about 21 days. The good thing about it is you can do this and prune your rose at the same time!

This is for any of you having a hard time rooting those David Austin Roses, etc. If I can do this, you can too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Way To Root Roses!

Comments (18)

• debbysunshine
    15 years ago

I used to do this with house plants but it is so great that it also works outside with roses especially the ones that won't take off any other way. Enjoy your success.

• belleville_rose_gr
    15 years ago

this does work but has limitations on where you do this unless you want the same roses you have already in your rose garden

• bamabutterfly
    15 years ago

thanks Echinaceamaniac....great post! You've gotten me inspired to try rooting a rose. I like the idea that it works everytime.
    Do you use a peat pellet, instead of the moss?
    Also, is there a trick to wrapping the plastic....it seems a little confusing.

I have a Gertrude Jekyll I would love to try and root. If I am successful I would be glad to share. OGRs that I have and would also like to try to root are: SdlM, Maggie, Gruus an Aachen, Red Dragon w/White Pearl.

Here are some Austin's I would like to get.
    Belle Story, English Garden, Mary Rose, Tamora, Heritage, Abraham Darby, Leander, Lillian Austin, Perdita, Propero, and The Countryman.

Thanks,
    Michelle

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michelle,

I use one of the large peat pellets. I expand it with water and slit it down one side so it slides over the stem. You just cut a zip lock bag down the side and cover it and I use pipe cleaners to fasten mine at the top and bottom. It's a little tricky at first, but once you get it, you are home free. Make sure you read the link I included about the rooting powder, etc. Have fun!

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

Michelle, I've got a Mary Rose, Tamora, Heritage, Lillian Austin. my email is potgrower@live.com

• rjinga
    15 years ago

this post makes me think that I didn't "wound" my stems enough, I had read another post somewhere on here that said to barely scrape the surface. The description here is obviously much more drastic and deep.

I've got mine in perlite only and have tried to mist them regularly. I have dying leaves :( and only a few of them have kept their leaves green. No sign of any new growth to speak of.

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

I don't even wound mine at all, just cut straight across right below the bottom node, but I snap off the prickles, which does cause a very slight wound. Wounding, if attempted, should be quite light. If find it just causes an entry point for disease. Sativa.

• rjinga
    15 years ago

But what about this technique? clearly there is DEEP cutting into the stem that is being surrounded by the peat material...Is this step just applicable to this method?

I realize from reading all the different posts, that there are many different ways to skin a cat...so is it just a personal opinion? Is there any science behind each approach?

or is it simply trial and error?

I have moved my "alive" looking cuttings from the perlite and now they are in water with a growth hormone/rooting solution added.

• triple_b
    15 years ago

Well that is too cool. one question: if I start now, it will be getting on to mid-late summer before it is rooted and ready to go. I grow all mine in pots. Should I overwinter it in dormancy with the others or put it under a light for its first winter?

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

triple b, I am growing mine under a light this winter. I have a 400 W grow light I've been experimenting with. I'm growing a miniature rose under it now and it's blooming. I love the fact that I don't have to spray the plant. I haven't had any blackspots or other problems!

• triple_b
    15 years ago

I don't have anything so fancy. I have a flourescent shop light.

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

Is it correct to remove all the leaves on the stem you are propagating?

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

triple b: just buy a few more shoplights, depending on how many cuttings you plan on growing. Object16 used 11 parallel 2 tube shoplights for a 4 x 6' indoor garden, and raised 72 cuttings over last winter. They are all doing great now.
    Sativa.

• rosemeadow_gardener
    15 years ago

Thanks very much Echinaceamaniac for your way of propagating, it was all very interesting.
    I have had alot of success with growing cuttings into ownroot plants but also many failures. So I am really looking forward to using the method of air layering as I don't have a misting system either as we have Solar Power.
    I want to start a small own root rose mail service, so your thread will help me greatly. I want to try it on other plants too. Does it work well with Camillas and all other plants ? What about fruit trees ?

• triple_b
    15 years ago

hey Sativa,

my electric bill is high enough as it is. :D.

Think I will stick with what I have and practice restraint. (yeah, I say that NOW).

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

Hey triple b: remember, I run that 11 x 64w fluorescent bank during the winter, downstairs. This acts like a mild heating element (704 w total). Since I need to heat my house in the winter, the 704w from the fluorescent bank heats my house, and my furnace works less, so really the electricity for the lamps is free, because my furnace costs go down. Also the bright light is very good for your mood, and if you have Seasonal Affective Disorder, you won't need to buy any antidepressants, so the lights actually SAVE money. Sativa. :)

• rjinga
    15 years ago

Well this will have to be what I use for my next attempt, because the conclusion to my first attempt (which was using perlite and misting regularly) was a total 100% BOMB out. Nothing happened, and I've concluded that it's WAYYYY too much work in general, so I'll be driving to the nursery, Lowe's HD or wherever and buying a new rose when I want one. Unless of course, I can try this technique with the success you claim it to have. I'll have to let you know how it goes here.

• peiwizard
    15 years ago

Michelle, email me please peispud02@yahoo.com