Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to propagate Cuttings with a potato

Posted by sunshine98 Z8 TX (perkisun@sbcglobal.net) on
Fri, Jul 14, 06 at 13:11

I'm doing some cuttings now and I live in West Texas. It's my first time doing it this way but it seems to be working because I'm starting to see new buds on the cutting. I took the cuttings and bore a hole in a potato which started to have roots. The hole I bore on the potato was a bit smaller than the cutting so it is going to be a very snug fit which is good. Then I took the cutting and pushed it into the potato. They say you're supposed to use root hormone but I didn't to see if it works without it. Then you take the potato with the cutting and bury it in good potting soil so that only the potato is covered leaving the cutting exposed. Water well, and cover with a gallon milk jug with the bottom cut off to allow for air and to keep the humidity high near the cutting. "screw" the gallon unto the dirt. Your new cutting should be ready to dig up and plant in Spring. Good-luck!!!!
Sincerely and respectfully,
Nancy aka sunshine98

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to propagate Cuttings with a potato

That is very interesting. Keep us posted on the results.

o

You do know that you will be growing Potato plants with your roses don't you unless you peeled off all of the eyes. I used worm castings that I had from feeding worms in a worm bin leftovers once and ended up with a bunch of tomato plants along with the roses. Be careful what you wish for.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 12:10

Several people tried this over on the propagation forum a couple of years ago and ended up with rotted cuttings and rotted potatoes. I hope it works better for you.

o

Well, I for one am really curious to hear how this experient works out. Having lived in west Texas before, and knowing how hard it is to keep young plants well hydrated in the winds, I think there might be some merit to the potato method. I had heard of doing this slightly differently though:

The old method I have read of but never tried, instructs you to cut a wedge of potato (it didnt mention the eyes, but removing them sounds smart), and slice about halfway through it as if you were going to cut it up into chunks. Slip your rose cutting in to this slice, seating the rose cutting well into the potato body. Water it well, and plant it into a pot of good soil. Allow the soil to dry out between waterings, so the potato won't rot.

o

did any of ya'll ever try it?

o

My neighbor from Hungary said people had success using potatoes for starting roses back when his family lived there during WWII. They moved here after the war to escape the Russian soldiers. But he said it did work for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here