Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katefisher_gw

Initial thoughts on propagation

katefisher
15 years ago

I would like to try taking some cuttings from mine and my neighbors roses (with permission) to propagate them. I have a couple of questions please:

1) What rooting compound is preferred/most effective? I found two at the hardware store this morning. One is called Root & Grow and is a liquid. The other is just called Rooting Compound by GreenLight. My husband wants to use RootEase but I'll have to keep looking if that's the best product.

2) I would like to take the cuttings and put them in a six inch pot with potting soil and then the clean, empty 2 litre soda bottle over the top. I know this creates a greenhouse effect. If you do this how do you know if your cutting is receiving enough moisture? Or too much moisture? I presume under those circumstances no misting is needed.

3) Finally if I do this now and I'm successful the baby rose should in theory be plantable within a few months? I'm just trying to figure out what do with my young rose if it is ready come October when we will be getting our first freezes. Might be able to keep them up in our breezy attic over the winter.

Thank you. I don't know what I'm doing so any feedback is appreciated.

Kate

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus