Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbysunshine

Rose sports

debbysunshine
14 years ago

Are rose sports like suckers ? I've pulled out so many Dr. Hueys growing from the bases of nice plants and they all have deep wine blooms. Now there are green smoother stems with lots of thorns but have many large purple leaves like they want to bloom and are growing pretty long. I've cut them back to the next bud, but if I see anymore choking Dr. Hueys I'll scream. Please explain a sport.

Comments (2)

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

I am no expert on the subject of sports. But when I have see and read about someone that might have a sport is is described as a normal can that will bloom with a different color than the rose that is planted. The shape is the same but the color is different. I do know a sport is not a sucker from root stock which is what you may get(such Dr Huey) as they come from below the bud union of a grafted rose.

Normal looking red new growth as long as it is coming from above the bud union of a grafted rose would be the plant you want to see. But if all you are getting is blooms that are totally different from the rose you planted, ie the wine color you described, it could be because Dr. Huey has taken over.

(that is why I only buy and plant own root roses...no root stock to worry about)

Hopfully someone will see this and maybe provide more insite. Or you can post you question on the regular rose forum.

• klinko16
    14 years ago

always when cell division takes place, there is a small, small, chance that a DNA error takes place. Many of the DNA errors are lethal, but occasional errors take place that are not lethal. These errors might not be expressed, or the error might take place in a critical spot of the gene, which for instance, determines the color of the flower, the petal shape, number of petals, almost anything you can think of - including also the morphology of the leaves, and canes, prickles, etc.
    could also affect the hardiness of the new cane. you are interested if the mutation is in the "bud" part of the bush, not a mutation in the rootstock. the rootstock will send up suckers, that are obviously different from the bud, because the rootstock has different genetics. a sucker, and a sport, are two different things. a sport is always a mutation, and the sucker, is (practically) never a mutation.
    since a sucker involves cell division, it is possible for it to mutate, so very very rarely you can have a sucker sport.
    if you are growing bushes that are "own root", then these kind of bushes will send up canes from the roots which will bear flowers that you are interested in. some strains grown on their own roots will send out new root shoots, and the bush can spread this way, by "suckering". In this case, this can be a good thing, and something you want.
    the root shoots, also, can mutate, and it is possible for a very hardy, or slightly hardier root to arise, by mutation, as well. or a less hardy one, for that matter.
    I also agree with rosesnpots, I prefer to buy own root roses, or buy roses that are out of patent protection, so I can cultivate my own, either by layering (easy), or cuttings(not quite as easy, but not so hard either).

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists