Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Splendor in the Grass? Cutting I rooted last fall has suckered!

aliska12000
16 years ago

I could not believe my eyes shortly after noon, I look out the back door and see this rose sticking up, thought something broke off my cutting I rooted late August last year and overwintered in my sunroom.

I cannot believe it has suckered already with two canes, also one new huge cane on the main plant, which may turn into a problem but delightful for now. I pulled a lot of grass out around and between the canes and will work on it some more.

It's in as sunny a spot as I could find to plant it early in the spring, get's morning sun and late afternoon sun, just went shady when I grabbed my camera. A double pink, unknown, moss-type rose, may be a climber, know it's a once-bloomer.

This is one tough rose. I'll post a photo of its blooms which I've posted umpteen times already; nobody knows what it is. I'm hoping it will bloom better now that I got out of the mess I found it in where it has struggled neglected among trees and brush for years.

{{gwi:1241925}}

{{gwi:264197}}

Comments (4)

• elks
    16 years ago

Congratualtions-- a fine looking new plant.

I hope you don't mind: a little correction in your terminology. A sucker is generally thought to be from the understock of a grafted rose. What you have is generally referred to as a basal shoot. You must be doing something right.

Steve.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Steve, I didn't know basal shoots came up so far away from the parent plant. I'll have to watch my terminology. The new cane inside the cage is also a basal shoot then, it is from below the ground (I'll check next time I go out to make sure about that)?

Don't some people refer to an own-root rose as creating suckers? My Harison is then a basal shoot we dug up which survived from the parent plant? I've got one from another rose in a pot for a gal we dug out of a thicket of a rose that had put out so many (we have been calling them suckers) basal shoots that had taken over a large area of the garden, then one survived with only one nice green, thicker-than-a-pencil cane and has put out one new shoot from that. I thought that was a basal shoot and anything that came up from an own root right by the plant was a basal, just didn't expect one so soon from the parent plant and out so far. I thought anything new that shot out from above the graft was a basal shoot (when people throw that term around here). So I stand corrected.

My neighbor sprayed after I posted, it came through the fence and ruined all my wild violets on the west side of my house last time (very close to the fence). I keep them because they are all that will grow there, huge, refreshing green with a path down the center, sure a good thing I didn't try an expensive wildflower like a jack in the pulpit, etc. I was planting my last two roses I bought further away from the fence (my lot is only about 40' wide) and smelled something, sure enough, sprayed again. I hope the drift doesn't damage this baby or my pussywillow that is closer to his fence. I think it damaged my new forsythia where I thought a dog did it.

Basal shoot it is then. I'm worried now that I had gushed about this being one tough rose and hate to lose this one to drifting spray, not because it is the prettiest of all I could root, but because I sneaked the cuttings which I didn't like doing, but did it anyway to try to save the rose. If it amounts to anything and I live long enough, I hope to share it if people want it, pretty common looking after all the pink roses I've seen. The scent is heavenly.

I did research a little on spray drift and read that just because you can detect an odor doesn't necessarily mean you have inhaled too much (I did not like breathing it) or that an excessive amount of damaging spray has drifted. But I'll have to wait to know for certain. There was no wind, but it doesn't matter, it drifts on the slighest air current.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

If it comes up away from the existing crown, it's a sucker. Some roses are downright invasive when it comes to colonizing territory, and should have a containment strategy. Since it's growing in the lawn, it can't get too bad before the lawnmower will take care of things.

Given the red coloring of the new growth, it's part China.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, mad gallica. I know I've created a Frankenstein here, looks so innocent, but I am happy for now. Part China? Interesting. Somebody thought it was moss. I've looked and looked and can't find anything like it yet.

That will be the fourth invasive. I've got 3 pesky things that spread by extensive underground root systems now (one new one this year, need to photograph and get an id on it). Oh and my apple tree suckers and I started a new plot near that. Oh me.

I know I am going to have to use the Roundup I bought, am dreading mixing it safely, storing and disposing of it properly, and the paint brush.

I need to do what my neighbor has done but just hate spray, never done it, my yard is a total mess, new nasties are appearing every year.

I got a dandelion digging tool, can't really keep up with that and my other regimen, pull what I can, could spend the entire summer hand weeding and doing nothing else.