Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knockout roses from seed??

Posted by dma6 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 14:57

I'm just starting to try to grow roses from seed. I would like to pick your brains. I have 2 different roses. One is a Knockout rose and the other is a pink tea rose(name unknown). I plan to collect seeds from both this year. I would love any advice and direction on how to start these. Thank you all for your time. I look forward to your wisdom on this matter.
Dana A.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knockout roses from seed??

Link to article below by Dr. Manners on germinating rose seeds.

Your seeds (is your pink rose a "tea" or a "hybrid tea"?) are from hybrids, so your results will vary widely. Only species roses come true to seed. Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Germinating Rose Seeds by Dr. Malcolm Manners

o

Thanks! That was very informative and to the point. That's just what I was looking for!
Dana A.

o

Dana, Which Knockout rose do you have? I believe that the original Knockout is a triploid and probably will not have viable seeds. But you can certainly use it as a pollen parent. You might want to checkout the Rose Hybridizers Association (RHA) site and do a search on the forum.

Caution, growing roses from seeds, whether they are open pollinated or planned crosses can be very addicting.

Liz

Here is a link that might be useful: RHA

o

I have an original knockout rose that I bought quite some years ago. It is the best knockout because the newer two (rainbow and pink) have no scent to speak of whereas the original knockout has a fine tea fragrance. It produces some fertile seed (and lots of large hips) through open pollination (but perhaps with rugosa). I've three or so of this years seedlings from it that have lived. The most vigorous of those has bloomed once earlier this spring and has a bud on it now (not bad for a several month old, one foot seedling). It is a nice single, red with a white center and a buff reverse and strong fragrance. It's quite healthy with more rounded, jagged leaves than the original with red tints.

o

As a followup to my first message. I believe wherein lies the problem is that 'knockout' doesn't produce viable pollen. This means it won't self-pollinate which would explain the relative lack of fertile seeds (and not having to dead-head to produce more flowers). I believe my knockout seedling was pollinated from Rosa Rugosa 'Alba'...which would explain the white color and strong fragrance. Like it's parents, it appears to be quite disease free.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here