Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irene_dsc

Rosa rugosa sucker - No signs of life

irene_dsc
16 years ago

Help!

This past spring, I transplanted a rosa rugosa (alba) sucker from my old house to the new house. I have to admit, I didn't do much for it - dug it up, cut at the connection, put it in a pot. There was new growth on it at the time, but while it was sitting in the pot on my patio, some of the leaves all died, I assumed from transplant shock. A few weeks after I potted it, I put it in our new border. It wasn't looking too healthy, so I cut it back to just three sticks. This was a while ago - maybe mid-June?

Well, I haven't seen a single sign of life on this poor rose. I've been watering the border with a soaker hose, and most of my other plants are doing well. It is a semi-lasagna bed (since it is partly under an ornamental cherry tree) with lots of compost on top and in the hole with the rose.

Is there anything else I should be doing for this poor rose bush?

Right now, I'm thinking that if I don't see any signs of life by fall, I'm going to put my newly discovered peony there (which is in too much shade right now). But, if necessary I can find another spot for the peony (tho it might not happen until *next* fall).

Thanks for any help...

Comments (4)