Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosa rugosa sucker - No signs of life

Posted by irene_dsc 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 07 at 15:35

Help!

This past spring, I transplanted a rosa rugosa (alba) sucker from my old house to the new house. I have to admit, I didn't do much for it - dug it up, cut at the connection, put it in a pot. There was new growth on it at the time, but while it was sitting in the pot on my patio, some of the leaves all died, I assumed from transplant shock. A few weeks after I potted it, I put it in our new border. It wasn't looking too healthy, so I cut it back to just three sticks. This was a while ago - maybe mid-June?

Well, I haven't seen a single sign of life on this poor rose. I've been watering the border with a soaker hose, and most of my other plants are doing well. It is a semi-lasagna bed (since it is partly under an ornamental cherry tree) with lots of compost on top and in the hole with the rose.

Is there anything else I should be doing for this poor rose bush?

Right now, I'm thinking that if I don't see any signs of life by fall, I'm going to put my newly discovered peony there (which is in too much shade right now). But, if necessary I can find another spot for the peony (tho it might not happen until *next* fall).

Thanks for any help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosa rugosa sucker - No signs of life

irene..you've got nothing to lose by still watering it..don't give up hope, rugosas are tough roses..it may just be pouting..i transplanted a rugosa once that i was sure was dead, and the following spring, it decided to grow..hang in there!! donna

o

Thanks, Donna, for the signs of hope! So, I'll give it until sometime next spring, I guess. It is in a large border with a soaker hose, so it is definitely getting watered. (The whole border is new - no established plantings at all.)

(Hmm...now I'm wondering if dh turned off the soaker hose - it might be getting watered extra, extra!!!!)

o

How I usually deal with suckers is to pot them up, and sit the pots in water for a couple of weeks. They come out when the rose has either produced new growth, or otherwise shown it has stabilized. Suckers can vary widely in the amount of roots they possess, and usually are getting a fair amount of support from the parent plant that has to be compensated for.

o

Thanks, MG. I suppose I should've posted a question earlier, lol. Now I know...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here