Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dig up underground rose shoots?

Posted by shynon NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 15:48

I bought a home in NY state that has a garden of mostly perennials. The previous owners planted a rose bush and it has spread underground throughout the perennials and there are long canes lying atop everything, with roses at just the ends. How do I manage these? Do I just cut everything back to the ground? Do I dig some of the spreading parts up and replant them? I have found the original plant and think the rest spread from there. I don't even know what kind of rose it is - if a climber or what! I don't want it to take over the perennials and if I could relocate the roses that would be good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dig up underground rose shoots?

you should be able to cut the sucker off at the base of the other rose. it should help the other rose grow stronger. it may be a runner , or it could be rootstock like Dr. Huey

o

Thank you so much. I was unsure about being able to cut them off. I have a few roses in Florida but they are bushes I bought myself and knew what to expect. This had me stumped! I didn't even know some could spread underground until I saw these. Can I cut them as soon as the flowers are gone? The roses are small pink carnation-looking, not like the petaled roses I'm familiar with.

o

Interesting, can you send a picture to my email? It doesn't sound like Rootstock? Dr. Huey is Red, reminds me of a Mr. Lincoln almost.

Is the plant / small pink carnation looking flowers, the same type of flowers that are on the "mother" plant ? If you are going to cut the sucker, you can do it before the sucker flowers, the sooner the better, as it is just taking energy from the parent plant by the sounds of it. Also any idea on when the rose was planted? sounds like it could be a mystery =)
Regards,
Andrew

o

What you have is probably a rugosa called Pink Grootendorst. As you have found out, they spread. If you dig them up, unless you get all of it, it will be back. You will have to keep at it.

If you want to establish one elsewhere, get as much root as possible. Preferably with some feeder roots, but not all suckering roses produce a lot feeder roots. Curl it up in a 1 or 2 gallon pot, add soil, and put the whole thing in a saucer of water in the shade. When it starts growing, it has enough of a root ball to come out of the water and be treated as a normal plant.

o

I just moved into a new place that has a pink rosebush. It bloomed once & then stopped. It has new growth on it, but after that one early bloom, it stopped producing flowers.

Recently I was digging up the daylilies around it that looked like they were choking the rose, & I found what looks like a runner about 5 feet long. I wasn't sure if it was ok to cut this since I didn't want to damage the root, but is this why my bush is not blooming this summer?

Can I cut this off?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here