Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niteowl9

Trying to save a broken rose bush

niteowl9
14 years ago

My favorite mini-rose bush has suffered heat, drought, high winds, ice storms, and hard freezes (some as late as May). It has always come back with gorgeous yellow flowers that turn orange and then red. However, this morning the bush got all torn up. The bush is in a planter next to the driveway, and the mailman took a shortcut and tripped in the planter. Took out my precious rose bush (and 2 solar lights).

This mini rose bush has no name. It was a J&P test rose, and they told me that overall it didn't do well, so they never went forward with it. Mine is 20 years old and has outlasted all of my other rose bushes! Sure wish I could have bought more. I never thought about propagating it before now.

The largest part of the rose bush was torn off, and is an L-shaped piece. The plant is about 12" and the root is about 12". I had to get to work, so I didn't have much time to fix anything. I put the root in a large cup of water. What do I need to do to replant this? Or is the trauma from being torn off from the deep root going to be too great?

The rest of the root is in the ground. An 8" part of the plant hung on and is still in the ground. I quickly added some topsoil to this piece to stabilize it. Will it survive the trauma of being ripped from the main part of the plant? Should I add fertilizer or some other solution?

An 8" top section of the bush broke off, with 4 branches between 4" and 6" in length. Since since is a mini-rose, the branches are only about 1/16" in diameter. Since these were not taken off with a neat cut and immediately dipped in solution, do you think I have a chance in propogating these?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!