Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to save a broken rose bush

Posted by niteowl9 Oklahoma (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 15:50

My favorite mini-rose bush has suffered heat, drought, high winds, ice storms, and hard freezes (some as late as May). It has always come back with gorgeous yellow flowers that turn orange and then red. However, this morning the bush got all torn up. The bush is in a planter next to the driveway, and the mailman took a shortcut and tripped in the planter. Took out my precious rose bush (and 2 solar lights).

This mini rose bush has no name. It was a J&P test rose, and they told me that overall it didn't do well, so they never went forward with it. Mine is 20 years old and has outlasted all of my other rose bushes! Sure wish I could have bought more. I never thought about propagating it before now.

The largest part of the rose bush was torn off, and is an L-shaped piece. The plant is about 12" and the root is about 12". I had to get to work, so I didn't have much time to fix anything. I put the root in a large cup of water. What do I need to do to replant this? Or is the trauma from being torn off from the deep root going to be too great?

The rest of the root is in the ground. An 8" part of the plant hung on and is still in the ground. I quickly added some topsoil to this piece to stabilize it. Will it survive the trauma of being ripped from the main part of the plant? Should I add fertilizer or some other solution?

An 8" top section of the bush broke off, with 4 branches between 4" and 6" in length. Since since is a mini-rose, the branches are only about 1/16" in diameter. Since these were not taken off with a neat cut and immediately dipped in solution, do you think I have a chance in propogating these?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to save a broken rose bush

I feel your pain..I am dealing with much the same thing from a nasty hailstorm. The advice I got was to keep it watered and to only fertilize with a weak fertilizer solution. I put everything that broke off of my bushes down to root in case I lose my mother bushes, I have nothing to lose. If your broken branches have dried out, soak them overnight first, then put them down. Put a humidity cover on and hope for the best..that's what I am doing! Good Luck, Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here