Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tea Roses have no flowers

Posted by Farmer-Ed WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 18:00

Hello,

Last year my wife bought some tea roses from a Hardware store (McClendon's) here in the North West (Washington State). They had beautiful flowers when we bought them and quikcly lost them after transplanting them (which I figured it was due to the shock).

This year however, they have not yielded any flowers (even though my wife has feed them flower food). We placed them in a location where they would get plenty of sun and we make sure to water them. The plants look healthy and green (I've cut back the dead branches from the Winter), so I am wondering if there is anything I should do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tea Roses have no flowers

Farmer Ed, might these roses have name tags on them? I can't imagine a hardware store, particularly in Washington, carrying "Tea Roses". Hybrid Teas, floribundas, etc., yes as they are readily available either bare root or canned. Teas are something all together different.

There are a number of possibilities, from weather, climate, insects or animals eating the flower buds, improper pruning, or even rootstock instead of named cultivar. Perhaps if you could post photos and provide the names of the varieties, it might help. Kim

o

I picked up Mlle. de Sombreuil at a hardware store here is Oregon so you may well have true teas.

If you do I wouldnt worry about the lack of flowers this year. I'm not sure where exactly you are, but teas like heat and so far this year most of the northwest just hasn't had it.

As long as they stay healthy looking I'd keep doing what you are doing and hope we either get a long summer or a better 'spring' next year

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 22:19

Do you know the names of the roses? There must have been names on the packages. Did they bloom more than once last year or did they just have one big bloom? And how often did you fertilize them? There are so many kinds of roses and they all grow and bloom differently. It would really help to have more information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here