Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandmothers_rose

Please evaluate newspaper cuttings

They have been outside, uncovered for 3 days and receive about 2 hours of light from 7:00-9:00 a.m. Hopefully they are also protected from high winds. Since they barely have any leaves I thought the humidity would be high enough here in VA to get them to grow.

Unknown HT is withering on ends (looks like the water was sucked out of the top 1"-2".) The cuttings are long enough to handle the damage if it does not spread much more. I think my friend left the cane out of the water for several hours before she gave it to me. Is the withering caused by something I can correct?

Sunsprite is withering more than the unknown HT. Don't know why. I kept them in water.

Bella Donna's 1 year old stems are turning black, as did the semi-hardwood cuttings inside the newspaper. The cuttings in the baggie look good, though.

Oklahoma has no withering plus some teeny leaves which are greening up. Since it has no roots should I remove the leaves? I know it is premature, but I am encouraged by the leaves.

I put one tray inside a clear plastic trash bag to up the humidity and hopefully stop the withering but decided to remove it after reading some more about the importance of drainage. Plus, any breeze would jiggle the cuttings . . .guess that's why people use clear pop bottles. I used plenty of duct tape to keep the 16 oz styrofoam cups in place, so I can't take a few out and cover them with the pop bottles.

Thanks!

Comments (2)