Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pics of first seedling's first bloom

Posted by sunandshadow 6 PA (sunandshadow@excite.com) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 19:11

I cannot believe how lucky I got with these mystery rose seeds. I thought they would probably produce boring pink single roses. But the first bloom turned out gorgeous - the outer ring of petals is dark pink, and the other rows are deep purple. It's fragrant too, a lemony-perfume scent. ^_^ I wish I knew what the parent plants were, I wonder if one was an ebb tide or other purple rose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pics of first seedling's first bloom

Very nice - congratulations! Your hunch about parentage sounds about right.

o

Beautiful! And so healthy looking!

o

The rose seedlings seem to really like growing in my basement under 4 sunlight-spectrum fluorescent tubes, in a mix of potting soil and perlite. They'd probably grow faster if it was warmer, but I'm glad the fluorescent lighting seems to satisfy them. Previously I had potted tulips under 2 tubes instead of four, but that wasn't enough and they were getting a bit spindly.

o

Very nice seedling. Did you have any others? Was this seed from your own roses, or a trade? What roses do you grow? I will be trying a few open pollenated of my own this year. Hope I get something worth keeping.

o

That one, and a pink but otherwise similar one, were from some random rose hips my mom found and sent to me. I have others from trades, those didn't bloom yet because they are rugosas and I don't think they'll bloom until they go through a winter phase. I also currently have freshly gathered rose seeds from my don juan and golden showers roses available to trade. Those are hybrid teas, a deep red and a pale yellow. I also have a new double delight and a rescued old pink noid tea rose, but neither have made hips yet.

o
Mortgage Advice

A very smart and diplomatic answer. It’s really appreciable and general.
-------------------------------
Martinez

Here is a link that might be useful: Mortgage Advice

o

That looks like a keeper to me. It's lovely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here