Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting rose pollen for hybridization

Posted by masterofcoffee 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 11, 09 at 20:05

Hello all,
I have a quick question about rose hybridization, how do I get the rose pollen from the flower to come out of the anther? I have tried using tweezers to get the anther from a flower that is 2/3 open, but I don't have any pollen yet, and it is getting late in the growing season to start the rose hips in wisconsin. I am trying to get the pollen from the fallowing roses, all hybrid teas: peace, sheer bliss, radiant perfume, falling in love, and veterans honor. thanks for all of the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting rose pollen for hybridization

1) select a bloom that is somewhere between a day from opening and just barely open.
2) remove the petals.
3) select a container to hold the anthers in while they dry. Many people use empty baby food jars.
4) remove the anthers from the bloom either with tweezers or a pair of scissors, dropping them in the jar.
5) allow the anthers to dry in a warm, dry place (out of direct sunlight) for 24 hours.
6) shake the jar to dislodge the pollen from the dried anthers. At this point you should have plenty of pollen in the bottom of the jar, ready to use.

PS: its probably too late to mature a crop of Hybrid Tea seeds in your climate zone. You need to start earlier than July if you are going to get properly ripened seeds.

o
RE: getting rose pollen for hybridization

After Paul's step 6, sometimes you have to crush the anthers to get them to release the pollen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here