Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toms_garden

Growing Roses from cuttings/seeds.

toms_garden
17 years ago

Hello all, I set up a misting system that I was reading about from this site. I used the Melnor 30/60 timer that runs for 2 minutes and is off for 10 minutes. This is my first time to have a system like this. All other times I tried to propagate, all waterings were done manuel type. LOT'S OF WORK...LOL. I would like to try to proagate some roses this year. And I would like to know what to do/ what not to do. I have several different mediums availible. I have Canadian Peat, Perelite, Vermiculite, and Sand. I have been reading about a medium called COIR. What is this? Where can I get it? What plants can it be used for? And how is the best way to use this medium?

I live in Southern Ohio. So is it too late or too early to take rose cuttings? And should my misting system be in shade or full sun? I have wanted to try my hand at roses for a LONG time. And now is the best time since I have had some good luck with getting the starter roses. A store close to me was selling out of all their plants. And I now have about 20 different roses to start with. Mixed types, bush and climbers. Also, how do I get these to produce the hips? And how do I get them to rippen? All info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank You all God Bless

Tom

Comments (3)

• ramblinrosez7b
    17 years ago

Hi Tom, I do my cuttings in the fall and stick them in the ground for over the winter. I cover them with a clear plastic dome.....a 2 liter soda bottle would be ok if the leaves will fit and in the spring around April and May they are rooted usually, I only had 2 or 3 that didn't take. I have never tried the misting system but quite a few people have success with it. I don't do my cutting in the summer because it is too hot.
    About getting hips to grow on your roses. For your zone this has do be done in May, June and early part of July. The hip has to be on the plant for 4 months before the cold weather sets in. It is the process of taking pollen from one plant and applying it to another to get a cross of two different roses. Of course you can do this indoors under lights. Which I might start soon. You can find lots of sites that will help you with this. Just put in google search, "Hybridizing Roses". Good Luck to you.

• fgilles02420
    17 years ago

Hi Tom,

I posted a reply to your inquiry but now its gone! I've had great success with cuttings with no fancy equipment (yes I use coir!) so email me if you want details, I'm not going to write it all out here again. No email on your page or I'd email you directly.

Frances

• sunshine98
    17 years ago

Tom,
    I'm doing some cuttings now and I live in West Texas. It's my first time doing it this way but it seems to be working because I'm starting to see new buds on the cutting. I took the cuttings and bore a hole in a potato which started to have roots. The hole I bore on the potato was a bit smaller than the cutting. Then I took the cutting and pushed it into the potato. They say you're supposed to use root hormone but I didn't to see if it works without it. Then you take the potato with the cutting and bury it in good potting soil so that only the potato is covered leaving the cutting exposed. Water well, and cover with a gallon milk jug with the bottom cut off to allow for air and to keep the humidity high near the cutting. Your new cutting should be ready to dig up and plant in Spring. Good-luck!!!!
    Sincerely and respectfully,
    Nancy aka sunshine98

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996