Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

Everything I stuck has roots OR died

michelle_co
17 years ago

Everything has roots, even a florabunda that I stuck 11 days ago (I was shocked that it has a big root). There are 15+ rooting cuttings. They are either in pop bottles, or in a plastic tub with several cups containing cuttings. All are bottom watered at this point. I gave them a weak taste of kelp + Superthrive a few days ago... It's easy to tell now who has the best roots - they are quite green.

I lost 6 cuttings. They are all from a very green Cabot octopus arm that broke off. They were soft, gummy, brand new growth. Some of the small cuttings from it were trying to pop roots, but the tops mildewed on all of them so I tossed 'em. I still have three large limb cuttings from that branch, but I'll be suprised if they root before mildew gets them.

:-) Happy Gardening,

Michelle

ps. Ooops. I forgot the store bought rose flower cutting. It does not have roots that I know of.

Comments (5)

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

I think I'm having the same problem. One by one, the fragile little things that are putting out new leaves and had me so full of hope are blackening and dying. I have four left.

Will try for some fall ones and try to overwinter them, I guess.

Sorry about your disappointment. I'm new to rose propagation. Maybe that ziplock bag with the potting soil, soda, detergent, north window is the way to go. I don't know.

Keep trying.

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear about your cuttings fading out. :-( It seemed so hopeful that they had leaves...

I am OK with my results. The lesson I learned is that the really green cuttings don't work. Even if they are large sized, they are not worth potting up.

I have about 10 cuttings left off of older wood (the were stuck 4-6 weeks ago), 5 of them have roots to the bottom of their pots. Most of them have not sprung any new leaves yet. 5 of them are not showing roots yet, but they look healthy so I'm hopeful.

I should be able to update with photos over the weekend.

Happy Gardening,
    Michelle

• elks
    17 years ago

Try a little hydrogen peroxide (5 ml/100 ml of water) as a fungicide.
    Steve.

• george_mander
    17 years ago

Michelle,
    First of all, "NEW" soft wood works best.
    There are so many reasons a own root cutting will not root.
    Eg. : Temperature if too high, light, humidity and the main thing is to use healthy cuttings and more. Also, I "do not" use any fungicide. For more info :
    Check out my Own Root Cutting set up with 30 images with step by step instructions. Link below.
    Good luck, George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

Michelle & Aliska,

George is 100% correct in stating new softwood works the best. Right now (8/4/06), I am getting roots from roses cut between 7/10-7/17. Most of these are HT, though there are a few floribunda's also. I am not using the pop bottle or the inside method George mentions (though I use a hybridized version of George's in winter). I experimented for 2 years before coming up with this method, and right now I am getting about 97-99% success, and that success means roots within 4 weeks. Here is what you will need;

1. Cheap shelving unit. I get mine at Target or Home Depot. 4 shelves work fine. Cost around $25.00
    2. Melnor timer from Home Depot. Cost is around $35
    3. Arizona Mist & Cool System. This is a misting system that attaches directly to your Melnor timer, which is attached to any garden hose. Tie the misting hose to the top two tiers of your shelving unit with misters evenly spaced. Cost is as low as $20

That's it except for coir, rooting hormone, pots, etc. Mine is setup under a large maple tree so that there is filtered sun most of the day. Timer is set for 2 minutes mist on, 10 minutes off from 7:30am to 8:00 pm every day.

I have become so confident that this system is almost fool-proof that I started ordering cuttings from University of California-Davis in 2005, and order twice a year. I am attaching a link to HMFR site for the rose Apache Tears. This rose is only available via UCD. Take a look at the first photo for this rose. This picture was taken 45 days after I received the unrooted cutting from UCD. If I have some time tonight, I will take some pictures showing what my system looks like, and the pots I use. The pots really help, but you will need to see it to understand why.

Hope this helps...

P.S. EBAY sometimes has the timer and misting system cheaper than you could buy elsewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: unrooted Apache Tears From UC-Davis after 45 days