Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adiro

When to take the bottle off new cuttings?

adiro
15 years ago

Hello

I've been browsing with much interest various forums on this site since spring, when I was able to have my own little backyard for the first time.

After some readings here, I decided to take a stem off my mom's neglected climber, that flowers every year in spite of no care. It has flowers that are double, ruffled, redish-pink and in groups of many on one stem. I took two pieces, and one piece off her scarlet miniature. at home I halved them and planted them two per pot, in potting soil, with water bottles with bottom removed on. two weeks later I decided I shouldn't have two cuttings in little pot, so I pulled out one of each and planted them in other pots. to my joy, three had little roots ( a bunch of roots, about 1 inch long) and one didn't ( that one also lost the leaves), so I threw it away. Now it's three weeks since I started, and I decided to see what happens if i take the bottles off. They stayed happy the whole day, and did not wilt at all. Does it mean I can let them breathe? and not put the bottles back on? The bottles are 1.5l bottles, and too narrow, they crowd the leaves...

Btw, I think I have to keep them in the window for the coming fall and winter, and I don't have lights, misting systems, etc....I also don't have a garagee.... Will they survive indoors until spring?

Any advise is welcome, please write if you have a moment, I really want them to live!

Thank you!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area